Alberta new Court rulling on Condominium Board vs Airbnb host opened door to abuse

Alberta new Court rulling on Condominium Board vs Airbnb host opened door to abuse

Recently the Edmonton Court has ruled in favour of the condominium board imposing an injunction to the right of an Airbnb host to rent his condo, by interpreting the existing Corporation's by-law from a bias point of view, declaring the short term rental as a "mini-hotel". Although that specific case had some attributes to allow such work-around injunction to take place without changing the existing by-law, now it has opened the door to abuses from other condominium boards.

Due to their lack of legal knowledge, new notices have been issued to owners around Calgary based on this court ruling without having this matter under a general vote.

3 Replies 3
Arizona0
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

I’m currently a host in Calgary and my condo board and the property management are starting to issue fines to host because they continue you run AIRBNB. They think they can issue fines just going off an Alberta court ruling which happened in another city. Please note the condo had different bylaws! This harassment is totally unacceptable!

KEYNOTE TOWERS?

Hi @MikeandHellen0 I have this exact issue at the keynote tower. I have been trying to reach out to everyone that has been impacted by this. I too was fined and due to covid decided to stop running the airb&b . I want to see if we can start a conversation, gather everyone with the same issue and create a strategy to get our bussinesses back. 

Cheers David Renteria