Allow Host to Charge Security Deposit

Scott222
Level 3
Conway, NH

Allow Host to Charge Security Deposit

HOSTS THAT EXPERIENCE COMMUNITY DAMAGE FROM unruly, disrespectful guests who violate house rules, good neighbor policies and hold parties that result in COMMUNITY DAMAGE, LOUD NOISE, PARKING CONCERNS, DISTURBANCE TO NEIGHBORS, AND POLICE CALLED, have NO ABILITY TO HOLD OUR POSTED SECURITY DEPOSIT.  AIRBNB will only cover PHYSICAL damage!  The community damage is FAR more costly as we have seen STR regulations restrict and ban STR operators.  ARIBNB NEEDS TO ALLOW HOSTS TO COLLECT A SECURITY DEPOSIT BEFORE A GUEST BOOKS, similar to other booking platforms such as HOME AWAY/VRBO so that we can PREVENT these problems before they occur.  I sit on two town appointed STR Regulation Committee's and operate several STR's.  REGULATIONS and COMMUNITY CONCERN is the #1 issue that face STR operators and threaten our ability to host.  WE DO NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM ON VRBO as guests KNOW THEY CAN LOOSE THEIR SECURITY DEPOSIT FOR ANY REASON A HOST CHOOSES, LIKE DISTURBANCES, TRESPASSING ON NEIGHBORS PROPERTIES, EXCESSIVE LOUD NOISE, NUISANCES TO NEIGHBORS and I find guest who book under these conditions FAR MORE RESPECTFUL.  I HAVE EXPERIENCES CERTAIN ARIBNB GUESTS THAT KNOW THIS LOOPHOLE IN AIRBNB"s POLICY AND HAVE HOSTED EVENTS AT MY PROPERTIES WITH NO FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY TO THEM..  It is my understanding AIRBNB collects a security deposit on its own offerings on the platform, and it would only be fair if it allows hosts to also have the option of requiring a security deposit if they so choose.

EVERY HOST SHOULD ENTER FEEDBACK TODAY TO ALLOW HOSTS TO COLLECT SECURITY DEPOSITS TO PROTECT OUR COMMUNITY from disrespectful renters.   I get google alerts daily on short term rentals and EVERYDAY there is an article about regulations BANNING STR's in the community, and some dreadful result from a shooting or party at an AIRBNB.  This is damaging our community and needs to be corrected IMMEDIATELY.  

Thanks

1 Reply 1
Chris76
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

I absolutely agree that the community damage caused by these unauthorized parties are much greater than any physical damage that is caused.

I am currently dealing with an incident where a guest who hosted a large party that grossly violated my house rules and Airbnb's own no open-party policy. I was informed by my neighbor that the guest brought in a huge speaker system and played music for hours at night at a noise level that shook the windows and floors of neighboring houses. People routinely knocked on the door to be let in for hours throughout the night and was generally inexcusably disruptive to my neighbors. They left my house unsecured and damaged. The entire house reeks of marijuana. I requested compensation through the resolution center, which the guest declined to pay.

I contacted Airbnb when the reservation was still active, and was told that I could expect a call back from a case manager hours to a day from the time of the initial call. I reached out on all avenues to Airbnb to address the issue. I only spoke to a case manager one time. This case manager told me that I should leave an honest, bad review for the guest. The case manager flat out told me that they do not remove people from the platform for a first time offense. In other words, guests have at least one free pass to host a party that is prohibited by Airbnb's no open party policy.  Airbnb will not support its hosts. 

I agree that improving how security deposits work on Airbnb is important to addressing this issue. Airbnb can't be trusted to make decisions that respect hosts and their communities, so hosts must demand more direct power to adequately address these situations.