Almost scammed via Marktplaats.nl

Answered!

Almost scammed via Marktplaats.nl

Hi all!

I'm from The Netherlands and I almost got scammed by someone who was pretending to have an AirBnb link. The person was advertising for a appartment rental on Martkplaats. I have send them the link to the advertisement and they got it off already.

I think this is the new way to scamm people with rental appartments or houses. I always check links so I was on time. But let me please tell you guys where to watch for.

Maybe you have some links that you can share so people know what links are out there?

A couple of tips to watch out for:

- Always check the link. If it is something like this (albnb-property.art) 

- Check airbnb website by itself. Airbnb doesn't do monthly rentals (I think, help me if I am wrong)

- When you checked above and know it is fake, contact your local police. 
- Don't make payments.

Let us all know those links so we can watch ourselfs!

Greetings from Holland!

P.S.: O yeah, check this link for more tips!

https://www.afar.com/magazine/airbnb-scams-how-to-avoid-them-and-find-legit-rentals

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Martijn50 "Check airbnb website by itself. Airbnb doesn't do monthly rentals (I think, help me if I am wrong)"

Yes, plenty of Airbnb hosts take month-long or even longer bookings. In fact, there are many areas in the world where hosts are not allowed to rent, according to local laws, for less than 30 days. And longer bookings have become more prevelant in the wake of COVID, as people aren't just able to take short holidays for non- essential reasons.

There are many other ways these scam listings can be identified, and there are several long threads on this forum which deal with these scams.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Martijn50 

Wat een onzin. Koop gewoon een stoel of schemerlamp via Marktplaats, maar zoek woonruimte op serieuze web-locaties.

Ga ik in het vervolg zeker doen. Er werd als tip vanuit Radar (AvroTros) ook aanbevolen om op Martkplaats te kijken omdat mensen nog wel is aanbouw verhuren van hun huis.

Nu ik dit ervaren heb, heb ik me per direct ingeschreven op een erkende en betrouwbare website.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Martijn50 "Check airbnb website by itself. Airbnb doesn't do monthly rentals (I think, help me if I am wrong)"

Yes, plenty of Airbnb hosts take month-long or even longer bookings. In fact, there are many areas in the world where hosts are not allowed to rent, according to local laws, for less than 30 days. And longer bookings have become more prevelant in the wake of COVID, as people aren't just able to take short holidays for non- essential reasons.

There are many other ways these scam listings can be identified, and there are several long threads on this forum which deal with these scams.

@Sarah977 Thanks for this reaction! People do see more tips with your comment 😁!