Altered to stay less and the total was more expensive?

Sophy1
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Altered to stay less and the total was more expensive?

Last month, I booked a three-month stay (July 1 - September 30 2018) at an AirBnB. I am currently living in the apartment now and am having a wonderful time. 

However, as my boyfriend will be visiting me in September, and my current apartment can only host one person, I decided I wanted to cancel my reservation for the month of September. I have let my landlord know and she has no problem with this.

However, upon using the alteration tool on AirBnB, I found that it will somehow cost me an extra $341 to stay for fewer days. I don't understand why. Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 10.36.17 PM.png

Can anybody shed some light on this?

I have not infringed on the long-term stay policy which applies to the contract and I have double checked with my landlord and made sure that it wasn't the rate that was changing. I have sat side by side beside my landlord to figure this out and she does not know either. She will make a call to AirBnB closer to August if it does not work out. I think my last resort is to go through the cancellation process at the end of this month (because the next 30 days are not refundable) to get my September fee back.

I would be beyond grateful for any and all advice. 

5 Replies 5
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

I've seen this before... it seems like a bug to me. However if your landlord agrees to the alteration she can send you a reservation change proposal with whatever dates and price you agree on. Then all you need to do is accept it.

Hi Lisa,

Thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it. However, the problem with going forward with the alteration is that I would have to pay an extra $482 (see picture) on the spot. 

@Sophy1 cancel your alteration request; ask your host to initiate a new one with correct dates and rate.

@Sophy1

The exact same thing happened to my guest as well.......it seems to be a frequent occurance.

I *think* the host should be able to send you a special offer to your alteration request. Either that or the host can send the alteration request. I hope you are able to solve this without having to cancel. Good luck~!

Thank you!