Amex Card not accepted - guest has no other payment method.....

Shabnam0
Level 1
Mumbai, India

Amex Card not accepted - guest has no other payment method.....

Hi,

A guest has been trying to make payment using her Amex card,  which is not being accepted by Airbnb. She has checked with her bank. There is no issue with the Credit Card. She or her family members do not hold any other cards. I am unable to contact customer Service as there doesn't seem to be any such service on Airbnb.co.in. We'd like some help, please.

32 Replies 32
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Do bear in mind that this could be someone trying to scam you into accepting cash.  It is very unusual that there is only one credit card among family members - I think me and my husband have 5 between us !

Amex is not related to any bank - that is your second red flag.

Contact airbnb

They talk about losing Voyager Miles. 

I can't add my amex card too 😞 I want to use my amex card cuz I have a minimum spending to hit. Called Airbnb and they did troubleshooting but it still didnt work! So odd!

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

This sounds like a scam to me. Amex is the most expensive card to hold (pretty much) and to say no one else holds  any card sounds wrong. Let your guest discuss it with AirBnB.

I have the same issue it wont let me add my amex i had to do a work around by using apple pay

Eugénie3
Level 1
Paarl, South Africa

I have just had the same problem with an American Express Card. I could lose a R7000+ booking! Please help ! 

@Eugénie3

If a card is not accepted/not going through, there is a reason.  It could be a stolen card, the credit could be maxed out, card is expired. Or the potential guests are scammers trying to lure into accepting payment outside airbnb, pretending the card payment does not go through.  

If they try to book and there are issues with the card, you will get a message through the airbnb system that there are payment issues and a time frame for the issue to be resolved.  If not resolved, the request would be cancelled automatically.

If the card is rejected. there is a very good reason.

Roelf1
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

I can also not make a payment with my valid Visa Credit Card. 

All the details are perfectly fine & the amount for one night's stay is small.

Yet Airbnb insists that there is a problem with my card. And there seems to be no alternative way of payment available. Except for driving to the host & giving them the money in cash?

I think the entire issue is a stupid technical issue that Airbnb refuses to rectify.  I simply wanted to add a new AMEX card and utilize it for future payments, and sommething popped up saying that my credit card was being denied.  The crazy thing is that I was not even trying to make a charge!  I called AMEX and they said there was no problem, so Airbnb had better get this technical glitch settled soon. 

I have the same issue. I am trying to add an Amex card into my payment list, and there's a warning message saying that the card is not accepted. I have not passed the limit on the card or anything. I need to book a place now, would appreciate if anyone can help!

I am having the exact same problem with my Amex card.  They say they accept Amex, when they do not!  I'm really angry about this, as I got this card specifically to use for travel, and to collect travel points.  Conveniently for Airbnb, I notice that I can't find a phone # to use to complain about this!

@Cindi19  Here's AirBnB's number. 

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

If you have it in your country apple pay worked for me to bypass the same issue 

I am unable to add my Amex too - a card that I am successfully using elsewhere. Not that it is the first time I experience trouble with my Amex, a very difficult card to use...