Annoying guest

Robert74
Level 2
Plymouth, United Kingdom

Annoying guest

I recently had a couple staying with me, I enjoyed the initial interaction but by the end of the stay I was completely annoyed by them.

the problem is I can not find the words to write a review without sounding stupid and petty.

The couple changed there plans at the last minute and arrived a day late. The gentleman told me by message but didnt ammend his booking on the airbnb website. He challenged me about it and asked me to pay him back the money including the booking fees. I told him he was wrong and I didnt have to give him anything as he should have ammended his booking via the website sooner so my room would appear available to other potential guests. I told him I would give him the cash for the nights missed stay if he liked but I couldnt give him back any fees he paid to airbnb. He rejected my offer and insisted he would take up the matter with Airbnb. For the rest of his stay he was rude and argumentative but in a cheeky banter kind of way, like he was back at home with his parents. he seemed to lack any boundaries and had forgotten he was in a strangers house who had kindly offered to accomadate him.

As he left he asked me how much I would pay him for a good review at which point I told him to write what ever he liked. Now I am sure I will recieve an unfair and unjustified first ever bad review from him.

Should I just ignore it and how can I review him without sounding petty?

5 Replies 5
Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

I would simply state the facts, that the guest demanded money for unused days without making a modification to the reservation and that they asked for money again in exchange for a good review. Be sure to let Airbnb know as well.

Linda0
Level 10
Spring, TX

Robert,
You do not have to put up with guest trying to bribery or extortion to get you to let them stay at your home for less for fear of a bad review. Immediately contact Airbnb and they will counsel the guest to either leave or shut up.

Linda
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Robert74, I suggest you contact AirBnB straightaway and tell them what you've just told us. 

See what they have to say about it, especially the fact the guest was trying to blackmail you with regard to his review. 

For future reference, never, ever offer to refund cash to a guest. Strictly unnecessary and against ABB policy. 

And never feel intimidated by the threat of a bad review. Remember, you can always respond to it. 

Meanwhile, write an honest review of your guest's visit. If there was anything positive, mention it. But don't neglect to say that he tried to pull the old 'refund for a good review' bluff on you. Other hosts need to know what this guest might try on them as well. 

You here about this on TripAdvisor, happened to a friend once, do not play the game, if anybody starts trying to do that they need to be slaped down hard, definitely mention it in your review.

David
Atisanun0
Level 1
Bangkok, Thailand

I'm facing the same situation with Chinese lady. She booked for 5 nights and ask me to pay back 2 nights. As she didn't read clear all my detail and she feel it is far from the street( which it is not hat far 3 mins walk to 24hr shop and can call taxi, 10 mins to underground train) . She ask a lot of question then booking. And I really have no idea how to do. I also worry about bad review too