Any help for reguar hosts who rely on Airbnb?

Answered!
Paul1252
Level 2
Catterick, United Kingdom

Any help for reguar hosts who rely on Airbnb?

Hello all,

I hope everyone is staying safe and doing well during this awful time.

I have a question regarding any help that will be available for regular hosts who rely on the income from Airbnb to pay their rent or other expenses. My 'Superhost' status lapsed by 0.1% of a point in December, so I will not be eligible for the 'Superhost Relief Fund'. Nearly $300million has been pledged by Airbnb to help Superhosts and Experience hosts and people having cancellations during this time.

But what about the regular hosts that rely on Airbnb income to pay their rent and other expenses? I was a Superhost for over a year and a half until December, and in the last 3 years, my income from Airbnb has paid over 1/3rd of my rent during that time - which will now mean a heavy financial loss.

Cancellations happen every day in our community and we suck it up and get another booking, yet $250million is being put aside for cancellations - what if you had no bookings at the time of this decision - we therefore have no cancellations to even receive 25% of, and can't get new ones to cover any booking we may have got. Regular hosts are now sent to the dogs, we aren't included in the privileged categories, yet we, as a whole, host more people worldwide than Super or Experience hosts. Financial difficulties are real for all of us, and we open our homes to welcome people from all over the world to grow the Airbnb community in order to help us financially, as well as enjoy the hosting experiences we have.

I understand that this situation is unprecedented, but the fact that help is only being offered to certain hosts within this community is saddening from a CEO that claims to care about the community he founded.

Thank you for your time,

Paul

1 Best Answer
Mark3205
Level 4
England, United Kingdom

@Paul1252 @Helen3 

i echo Helen on this, of course it should go to those most in need but how on earth do they define this. I actually asked this very question to an agent on the phone and they said they are assessing it from levels of cancellations...in which case they should change their wording as this certainly doesn’t demonstrate the lowest income

developing countries is a decent dividing but again this doesn’t cut it, i know some very wealthy people in developing countries who rent out rooms and experiences on airbnb

i’ve also lost a 3rd of my income and of course i would be delighted to be invited to apply, if cancellations are anything to go by i’m quids in! However if they can find a viable way of awarding the most needy i’m all for it

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

There are lots of small businesses who are losing their income including those who rely on STRs for their income. You can't expect Airbnb - a listing channel to cover your business loss. @Paul1252 

It does make sense to me that Airbnb will allocate whatever funds they have to those on the lowest income.

Personally I hope they give it to the lowest income hosts in developing countries who don't have access to the sort of welfare benefits we can benefit from.

If you need help covering your rent apply for universal credit. There are also a fair few temporary jobs opening up including for care workers, delivery drivers, Amazon, farm workers, supermarket workers etc that you can consider.

Good luck.

Paul1252
Level 2

Hi @Helen3,

Thank you for your response. I don't expect anyone to help me. I am a key worker working in retail, mixing with the public every day. I am not furloughed, so can't stay safe and ride this out. I also receive Universal Credit due to my low income, which reduces every pound I earn by 63p, hence Airbnb is an important source of income for me.

The issue I was trying to raise is why offer anything to anyone if you're not offering it to everyone. Aren't we, as hosts, all as important as each other?

The CEO shouldn't have offered financial aide to certain hosts if it's not available to all. It shouldn't have been offered at all in that case.

I, also, hope that the people who deserve and merit any help should receive it if it's offered, and some hosts are in a much better place to not need this help.

I sincerely hope that you now have a better understanding of my message and, as a member of our community, can understand the sentiment behind it.

I hope we all stay safe and can welcome guests into our homes again as soon as this is all over.

Sincerely,

Paul

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I can't agree that it would have been better for Airbnb to offer nothing at all, unless they could offer something to all hosts.

When it comes to grants and funding there is always limits and it is only right and proper that where funding is limited it goes to those who have the least.

Of course I would like to be eligible for help (I meet their criteria), but completely understand if it goes to hosts who have less than me.

My concern is more around what criteria they use to assess who is in most need. There are likely to be hosts who fit the criieria but who have partners who have a good level of income or multiple assets.

If you have business rate relief on your airbnb business you should be able to claim a fairly large grant from your local council. Have you looked in to this? 

Paul1252
Level 2

Hi @Bobbiecool0 ,

It's not that big of a business! I only have one room that I let out. We're all just going to have to ride this out. I'm sure when the pandemic eases, people will be travelling wherever and whenever they can, so we could see a massive boost when restrictions are reduced! Finger's crossed!

Take care,

Paul

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Paul1252 I feel for you Paul. I wish there was help for everyone. On a practical level, Airbnb would have to draw the line somewhere. I hope things pick up for you.

Matthew1113
Level 2
Portland, OR

Sorry mate. Airbnb lied about compensation. They encouraged cancellations and left all hosts, super or otherwise holding the bag. Airbnb CEO is quarantining in luxury from funds made by hosts and he isn't about to go without those extravagent luxuries to help the hosts that paid for his golden ticket.

Mark3205
Level 4
England, United Kingdom

@Paul1252 @Helen3 

i echo Helen on this, of course it should go to those most in need but how on earth do they define this. I actually asked this very question to an agent on the phone and they said they are assessing it from levels of cancellations...in which case they should change their wording as this certainly doesn’t demonstrate the lowest income

developing countries is a decent dividing but again this doesn’t cut it, i know some very wealthy people in developing countries who rent out rooms and experiences on airbnb

i’ve also lost a 3rd of my income and of course i would be delighted to be invited to apply, if cancellations are anything to go by i’m quids in! However if they can find a viable way of awarding the most needy i’m all for it