Any other UK or London based hosts had the email to add account details to keep your payout coming?

Lyn-and-Gavin0
Level 7
London, United Kingdom

Any other UK or London based hosts had the email to add account details to keep your payout coming?

Hi All 

We got an air bnb message this morning the headline was:   Take a moment to add some required info.

Then inside the message is says add account details to keep your payouts coming

Hi,

Its great you're earning on airbnb - but now it's time to upate some of your account details.

This info is required to keep your payouts coming, so be sure to update your accounts details by 11h January....... then there is a link  " add account details"

I havent changed my details in 4 years and I am wary as it looks like a phishing scam?

Anyone else aware of this?

Please advise.  I logged on via my laptop (I haven't pressed the link button just in case) and there's nothing on my dashboard in notifications or under profile or account info?

Many Thanks

Lyn

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No I haven't @Lyn-and-Gavin0

Sounds like a scam. Have you double checked what email address the email came from?

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lyn-and-Gavin0

Haven had that email - if you right click on the  link what address comes up...that should tell you if it is a valid airbnb address or not

Sounds like a scam - but on the other hand it could just be house-keeping to check that all your personal details are up to date. We often see messages on here from hosts who say, oh that account was closed and I don;t know where my payout is.

Other option is to talk to AirBnBHelp on Twitter - usually a fast response

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lyn-and-Gavin0 No I haven't. Sounds like a scam to me.  Best to call Airbnb on 020 3808 4116, or use Twitter.

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Lyn-and-Gavin0,

I had an identical e-Mail in August and it was also accompanied by an SMS from Airbnb (sent from the regular Airbnb Phone Number)

The e-Mail was send from: Airbnb noreply@airbnb.com

BTW: Both can be 'spoofed'.

When you ‘rest’ your mouse on the link, you can see, where the link will take you. In my case to: https://www.airbnb.nl/hosting?................. (I replaced part of the link by dots!)

This link cannot be 'spoofed', unless some of your systems have been comprimized.

I had to upload my government ID.

And once I succeeded uploading my ID, I got a confirmation mail from Airbnb.

My verifications shows, I have a verified ID now.

I can see, you already did upload your government ID. So, that’s a bit odd (Unless you did so today).

Just check-out the e-Mail Address and where the associated link, will take you.

The domain in the link, should be a valid Airbnb Domain!!! (Airbnb.nl is a valid domain).

Otherwise, do NOT click on the link!

So in my case, it was a valid request.

I've seen others here, complaining about such way of communication.

And I do not recall anymore, whether I was also signalled by the Airbnb Chime.

@Cor3 @Rachel0 @Gerry-And-Rashid0 @Helen3  Update herewith.   Thank you all for responding - much apprecaited.  There was a prompt that appreared yesterday whilst using my laptop (securely) under my "transaction history"  that said I needed to update some account info....so I clicked on the link and it requested:

My legal full name not the name that appears on my air bnb profile, it asked me my date of birth and full address.  it said that once I had submitted this info nothing could ever be changed.

Looks like air bnb might be adding some extra security levels or they are just trying to find out the actual host owners legal names and addresses etc.

Hope you all have a brilliant 2019 and Thanks again for your responses.  All the best Lyn

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Lyn-and-Gavin0,

Coming to think of it.

Maybe they are also trying to avoid: Hosts handing over accounts, when they are selling the property (as a form of Goodwill).

Don't know, could be.