Anyone updates on regulations Spain?

Lisa6382
Level 1
Sydney, Australia

Anyone updates on regulations Spain?

Hi there,

I'm curious if anyone is more up to date about the Airbnb regulation. I don't have a Airbnb in Spain yet, but was/am planning

to open up a few. But from what I understand the 'no-tourism' vibe is pretty strong as it pushes the habitants away as it gets too expensive.

For example, Madrid and Barcelona are getting very strict. I am curious if those strict rules might spread throughout all of Spain..

Also, when it comes to short-term Airbnb and longterm Airbnb (30 days +) are the rules different?

Just curious if anyone has more information.

Thank you so much !

Lisa

1 Reply 1
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Lisa6382 

Here in the Balearics, particularly Mallorca, there is a significant "anti tourism" movement, but it's actually quite small even if they grab headlines from time to time. 

Tourism is big here. Arguably too big. In summer, a planeload of tourists lands every 45 seconds. The population quickly expands to about 10x the local population. But they bring a lot of money with them, so it's not a hand you want to bite. 

The frontline issue is "sustainable" tourism, which includes addressing residential impacts. Short term rentals had been banned in Palma (the city) after Airbnb style rentals became dominant and long term rent prices skyrocketed. Also, it's necessary to obtain a licence for tourist rentals now, and the entry requirements are not for the casual host. The bar is high. 

So, if you're planning on going Airbnb here, you need to be pretty serious about it. Not for the casual host.