App Notifications Delayed

Answered!
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

App Notifications Delayed

I'm getting notifications 1 to 4 hours after a message.  Luckily I've been at my computer a lot lately and have seen the emails come in, but it's a worrisome glitch because of the pressure to respond immediately.  Anyone else having this issue?

Oddly this didn't happen at all in technology-challenged Maine, but in New York where I have faster wifi and better cell service.  But really only for the last couple of days.

1 Best Answer
Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Ann72 @Wendy117 

The team marked this down as a potential new bug but would like for both of you to contact CS so they can go over a few steps with you, in an attempt to replicate the issue from their end and see what is going on.

Thanks
Nick

View Best Answer in original post

36 Replies 36
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Same here @Ann72. There are some huge glitches happening right now!

Jillie1
Level 10
Harrogate, United Kingdom

@Ann72 There certainly are some huge glitches right now aren't there.  I hope the system hasn't been hacked?!

Yes there are , my notifications are all over the place, not receiving them when payment sent, wasn't notified of last booking, and guest change of dates not updated on Inbox . Very frustrating Indeed John Australia 

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

The system was down for a time, yesterday afternoon (Chicago time).

After it came back up, I was unable to maintain my calendar. 

Also, a guest contacted me to get my address because she didn't receive the confirmation email. It did finally show up after some delay. 

@Michelle53 @Jillie1   I noticed it went down, just after I sent a long message to a guest.  It looks like it went through but Airbnb still wants me to respond.

After it went down I was logged out of the app on my phone, but got back in this morning.

Definitely a series of glitches!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Reading about this and all the other glitches hosts are experiencing right no makes me glad I'm not taking bookings in my home-share due to COVID. I never get bookings at this time of year anyway, but I'm sad I lost my high season since March. Usually get full in Match and April and first half of May.

@Ann72  Long before COVID, I regularly had text notifications come in for inquiries and requests that guests had sent 6 hours previously. Or I'll get a request notification and notifications of some of the guest messages, but not all of them. This business has been going on for a long time, it just sounds like it's getting worse and more widespread.

Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

I am still even now not receiving messages from Airbnb on my phone,  definitely no booking queries. 

I knew I would slip up and forget to look regularly in the app and would miss out one day.

Got one today at 3pm (no Airbnb msg) and didn't know until I received an Airbnb msg to respond to the query.  That was someone who wanted to come today and stay a month.  Guess they booked elsewhere.

But it looks like the messages ARE going to co-hosts - I have different co-hosts for different properties so it took me a while to realise.  My son, who owns some of the properties, would ring me and ask me what I thought and I had not got an Airbnb msg and had to look on computer to see what he was talking about.  Makes me feel slack, I was always proud of responding immediately.  Oh well, it is what it is.

After losing $2500 on this booking query I have decided to sit on the phone to CS - currently listening to music.  Maybe that person booked another place on Airbnb or maybe used a competitive site - surely loss of Airbnb income is enough for them to escalate this problem. Won't help me this time but might help us all n the future.  

As my co-host was getting notifications, just not me, I deleted my co-host but it did not solve the problem.  Had 2 auto-books since - had no notification for either on my phone. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Wendy117 

This has been an ongoing very long time problem for the last couple of years for both Hosts and Guests.

I've just had a Guest who said he had booked places over the last 18 months, was provided with address etc, I assume bc the correct address is sent out when he's booked, only for him to turn up and Hosts NOT having had any Notification sent through the TEXT alert or ABB system.

I wonder if this is tied in with the TEXT ALERT Provider and the Text Scams that have hit Australia and New Zealand with random unsolicited texts the authorities are trying to get on top of?

Has there been yet another serious Data Breach by these TEXT ALERT Providers, that are also used by Dentists, Medical Profession etc to send an Alert of upcoming Appointments which some behind these schemes are not recognizing are perhaps NOT working?

The Medical appointment text alert system, which has expanded over the years,  is understood to have in part been set up by NUDGE/ Behaviour Insights Team UK and David Halpern and associates who has just received funding of over 100 million UK Pounds.

To be perfectly honest, all the collection of our Private Data, photo ID, Drivers Licenses. Passport Photos and now Covid Passes to be scanned lead to complex and concerning Data Mining and Privacy issues in challenging unregulated manners across Borders Internationally is of grave concern.

None of us know who works in these places, they have access to Master Passwords and some will do anything for a Quick Dollar to survive.

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 @John152 @Antonio2507 @Wendy117 @Ann72 

@Helen427  These tech glitches where hosts' alerts suddenly stop has been happening long before Covid. 

Everything is not related to some worldwide conspiracy.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Nothing to do with Worldwide conspiracies @Sarah977 .

It has gone on for at least 5 years according to this  recent Syniverse Disclosure.

They have  a vast number of contracts tied in with the big Tech players.

Syniverse Hackers access billions of texts through breach

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/syniverse-hackers-access-billions-of-texts-through-breach-2021-10...

Page 69 - known as the May 2021 Incident

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1839175/000119312521284329/d234831dprem14a.htm#toc234831_3

@Brian @Catherine-Powell 

Have Airbnb Customers been involved in this matter as a  part in any shape or form?

An official update would be appreciated and yes we understand there''s ongoing Criminal Investigations going on with this breach that impacts on billions of us world wide using Telecommunications companies who send us Text Notifications.

Antonio2507
Level 2
Houston, TX

I am experiencing this problem of not getting notifications on the app of new inquiries, have repeatedly reported this bug, and the problem remains.  I see this was discussed months ago, and the community discussion  page features this conversation as "resolved!"  But, I do not see where anything was resolved.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Has anyone else had this same IT problem since they updated the platform in the last 2 months?

@Antonio2507 @Wendy117 @John152 @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 
@Nick @Catherine-Powell @Stephanie @Quincy 

We are not getting Notifications, as in alerts or emails, but our Views page is showing as if people have booked or are trying to book.

Would you please be able to update your Customer Services Team of these issues as they are unable to access all the Tech and Booking information and we would appreciate if you would address this with them urgently for us as it appears they may not know where and how the issues are arising,

We are finding out after the fact which is extremely annoying.

Thanks

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I still have the problem as described by others above. I have email, SMS and push notifications turned on, but basically never get the first SMS/push notification when a new guest sends and enquiry, booking request or instant books. I only get these via email. I am not constantly checking my emails, so this is a problem.

I do, however, get a reminder to respond to the message if I haven't realised that there's one there, e.g. when guests send a message at night and I don't see it until the following day.

After that, I usually get the rest of the notifications, but often there is a delay, which can be minutes or even hours.

This has been going on for a while and I've reported it several times to Airbnb CS but they don't seem to care. At first, they told me to delete and reload the App, but that didn't work. The exact same problems are happing with the SMS notifications so I doubt it's related to just the App anyway. 

Then they told me it must be my phone. I have had three different phones (all different makes) since I stated hosting, and always had problems with the notifications. Many guests have told me they didn't get notified of my messages either.

The last time I tried to speak to CS about it, the rep couldn't understand. I explained to her repeatedly that I was not getting all the notifications and, in particular, the first ones, which are the most important. She just kept saying, "So, you would like to get less notifications? You know you can just turn your notifications off?" It didn't matter how I explained it to her, she just kept responding with this, so eventually I just gave up and told her not to trouble herself.