Appalled filters are no longer working

Blake82
Level 10
Deerfield Beach, FL

Appalled filters are no longer working

Filters are NOT fully working. When I set a filter, I want it to filter for a reason. Now you are doing this garbage of a maneuver: "Missing WiFI" - "Missing under $89" - "Missing A?C" -  After using Airbnb for over 5 years, I am disappointed that you are wasting users' time in order to sneak in more reservations in the hopes someone doesn't notice.  This is highly unfair and I am not sure why you are allowing this. Please stop, and revert to making filters do exactly what they should do: FILTER options. 

50 Replies 50

YEP that's the best advice !!!   Airbnb and this funkery can algorithm their way to obscurity.  LOL.   

Thank you!!!

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

It really isn't a "filter" any more. It's a sorting algorithm.   It works the same as a Google search.   100% matches sort to the top, if there are any. Then you get 99% matches, 98% matches etc etc with the word "missing"  if one of the parameters is not in the results returned. 

The objective is that if you can't find a 100% match, you'll give up one or more of your required amenities, and pick something else.  

Obviously,  that was planned to result in more bookings, although I'm not really convinced of that, since the person searching was planning on booking already.  I'm also not sure it contributes to customer satisfaction.  Probably a slightly unhappy customer before the booking even starts, since an amenity a person was looking for is going to be missing. 

I think this explains part of the problem but then they really need to figure out their mapping.  Maybe a list works but on a Map it is indescribably frustrating to find a well-priced place in a good location only to see the one amenity we require is missing.  

Doug871
Level 1
Freshwater, Australia

2022 - I have just jumped on to start sourcing properties that have pools and begin making a shortlist for our next getaway.  I thought I was going mad, however I select 'pool' and properties get returned that do not have a pool!???  You can't make this stuff up.  In short; the algo is broken.  I will just use Google search or Stayz.  Airbnb, used to be epic and I used to use it...  

I'm switching to a competitor that actually does the filter properly.   **bleep** near impossible to find a spot with a hot tub via this crap filter.

Nick2380
Level 1
Easton Royal, United Kingdom

Completely agree trying to find a house with a swimming pool and a ever single house has the dreaded words “missing pool”-what a giant waste of time - vbro or just plain google producing better results- it can’t be hard to turn this off- however many house you show me I’m not going to rent one without a pool you idiots 

Drew2814
Level 1
Nashville, TN

I know this is old but I am so glad I found this post.  We are looking for a place in Prague that has Air Conditioning.  Not looking for places that are "Missing: Air Conditioning".  I can't believe this has been ongoing for so long.  If they want to do this include something like a "Need to Include" or "Would prefer" option.  Then they could gauge someone's desire to see ONLY those results.  I have never ever used VRBO but I am going over there for this booking.  Bummer 

Sara7191
Level 1
New York, NY

I completely agree - I find this fake filter exceedingly frustrating and somewhat patronizing - it's basically telling me that I don't "really" want the amenities or features that I'm selecting.

It's worst when I don't have a specific area in mind to stay, so I'm willing to search across a large geographic area to find a listing with the amenities I want. Now I just get hundreds and hundreds of irrelevant listings and can't even begin to narrow it down. Really bad usability. 

Ambriele0
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Man I submitted to "customer service " and got the run around trying to report this. Plain and simple the filters don't work and I'm convinced they know it at this point . Definitely checking out VRBO  cause there's no fix for this outside of their tech team. 

Tamlin0
Level 2
Midland, MI

Adding to this conversation as Airbnb search is now absolutely worthless - trying to add more comments so they might pay attention. For small trips in California there are MANY MANY Airbnbs. If I want to bring a dog, I want to see ONLY THOSE THAT allow dogs. I want to see ONLY THOSE THAT have Ev Chargers. Looking at the "likes" for these posts, 0 given for Dan and Dale's useless response, while many likes for others, I hope Airbnb recognizes this needs to be fixed ASAP. However, since it's been a feature for long enough that I've booked all of my recent trips on VRBO, it's clear Airbnb isn't getting the hint. 

Yes, this filtering on the app does not work. Everytime I put in 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms, it never applies it and I'm stuck looking at hundreds of rentals that I wouldn't consider renting. However, I noticed that if you use a computer, the filters stick. 

Michael6483
Level 1
New York, NY

It's so ridiculous and whoever designed the search function on this app/site clearly has never used it.  Why have filters at all if you're omitting specific amenities requested?  Beyond stupidity and going right back to VRBO as have most of my colleagues.

Jeffrey532
Level 2
Chesterland, OH

The filters do not stick on a PC over here.  Awful "feature", listen to your user base!

Jonathan1753
Level 1
Oakland, CA

Also switching to VRBO. This is silliness.