Appliances not Working & Neighbor Entering Apartment

Diego346
Level 3
São Paulo, Brazil

Appliances not Working & Neighbor Entering Apartment

Iam contacting you the Airbnb Community because I have been dealing with a situation in the apartment I am currently Staying at.

Since our arrival at this apartment, there have been issues with the fridge and washer not working properly and we have had people come to the apartment to try to fix them more than 15 times, and they still have problems. Many times I’ve had to miss work for these situations.

Three weeks ago, a neighbor accidentally tried his key in our lock and it worked and he got in. During this incident, I tried to get in touch with the host and co-host without success, so I also got in touch with Airbnb. I ended up paying for the lockmaster and the new lock, expecting a refund from Airbnb or my host.

As of lately, the host has been behaving in ways that make us feel uncomfortable, insecure and threatened. The documentation about the issues with the washer and the refrigerator is the conversation between the host and me, which the Airbnb Helper access and read. On these conversations, the host has been made aware of all these problems and she has sent the people to try to fix the appliances numerous times, acknowledging that the problems where here before our arrival. 

Also, the apartment has holes in the walls, making smock, garbage and cold wind coming in - Sleeping with those holes in the wall is almost like sleeping outside and is causing my wife too many health problems that we can´t continue to endure. Airbnb policies suggest, they can be a mediator and help solve the situation, but it has been over a week since this case was opened and we have not accomplished anything.

It even looks like you are letting the days go by so we spend the rest of the month in this apartment, however, we cannot stay at this apartment longer that this week.

Do you believe this is ethical and correct?

6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

No, not ethical or correct. I suggest you contact Airbnb and insist politely that they find a different, comparable (by that I don't mean one where the washer and fridge don't work, or there are holes in the wall) listing for you to move to and cancel the rest of your booking at this current place.

Thank You Sarah!

It's been 8 days (today) I have been trying to move to another apartment, but Airbnb customer service is always asking for more documentation. 

-They checked the conversation online between the host and me: the host recognized the washer and fridge were damaged.

- The host recognized a neighbor came inside our apartment at 6am using his own key

Now those holes are affecting my wife's health with bronchitis. 

Airbnb Support (manager case M) doesnt want to help me! 😞 What should I do?

Hey Sarah, Keeeping you updated - airbnb have done NOTHING! they are just playing with me and my wife's health. 

I have four case mangers now and none of them seems to help. One of the case manager "gave me a coupon" to use but it was fake! Invalid! 

I have to move on Sunday and they are not finding a solution. 

16 days like this. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If Airbnb have all this evidence they should just agree that you should move. This is ridiculous and I am sorry you are having such problems.

Try them via Twitter something like.  "After 9 days and 15 visits by the repair guy to try and fix a broken fridge and washer (still not fixed) and a neighbour letting himself into our apartment, we can't stay here. Airbnb is refusing to help and demanding more documentation (Already documented thru Airbnb messaging). Wife becoming ill. Please help. (You may need to edit down).

What documentation do they want.?

Hi Helen, Thank you for your reply. Airbnb is not helping, they are taking very long and not being very flexible with the refund. We are communicating with three different case managers and hopefully they will help us solve the issue as quickly as possible. 

-They are asking for pictures, doctors documentations, etc. (which by the way I am providing to them)

Hey Helen, Keeeping you updated - airbnb have done NOTHING! they are just playing with me and my wife's health. 

I have four case mangers now and none of them seems to help. One of the case manager "gave me a coupon" to use but it was fake! Invalid! 

I have to move on Sunday and they are not finding a solution. 

16 days like this.