Approaching landlords

LaNaya1
Level 2
Calumet City, IL

Approaching landlords

How do you approach a landlord when trying to rent a unit for air bnb purposes. In looking to host in another state & want to start off renting to see how it goes before committing to buying a property. 

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Are you looking to stay in a rental for a short stay and decide whether or not to sign a long term lease, @LaNaya1 ?  If so, there may be many reasons why a landlord may not want to agree to such an arrangement.  However, if you found the place on Air BNB, and know the place can be available long term as well, then message the host of your interest.  It is easier for a short term place to become a long term rental than the other way around.  Does that help?

Hey Linda @Linda108 @ Thanks for your feedback. I may not have worded my question correctly. I'm actually looking to sublet a unit to host. I'm looking to host in another state so I want to start by subletting just to get a feel of things before I commit to purchasing.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Ahhhh, makes sense.  In approaching a landlord it would help if you were educated about the regulations regarding short term rentals in the area you are interested.  Know how this affects the property for this owner.  Also, be aware that the owner may not have insurance coverage for damage as many home insurance excludes short term rentals.  Being a knowledgeable renter may add confidence for both of you.  If you find a willing owner, be sure your lease specifically allows subletting.  It might be required by Air BNB to allow your listing. If you are successful, you may find the owner not renewing your lease as he/she may try short term rentals on their own.

Thanks! @Linda108