Are Airbnb being a little bit greedy charging the guest such a high service fee?

Joey-And-David0
Level 5
Bath, United Kingdom

Are Airbnb being a little bit greedy charging the guest such a high service fee?

We are great supporters of Airbnb and tell people about them whenever possible - our experience hosting with them for the past couple of years has always been fantastic. Recently we have definitely noticed a drop in bookings in comparison to another site where we advertise - the one main difference is the very high service fee that Airbnb charges the guest. Now that Airbnb has become so established and successful isn't it time that they lowered their service fee for guests? (This is my first post in the Community Centre & apologies for putting this in wrong section)

35 Replies 35

@Alex379 the price on the left for the guest is in US Dollars.

The equivalent amount in Euros is 973.19 Euro (at least at today's exchange rate).

That means fees of 153.53 Euros, which is about 18.7%, which is about 15% plus VAT?

Crystal233
Level 1
New York, United States

Just paid almost $200 fee...on top of rental, clean service, and club fee, for less than a week. Should of went with legoland resort more to do and cheaper. 😭🤦‍♀️

Jonathan1286
Level 1
Moreno Valley, CA

Some hosts have been racist and greedy so now I'm back at hotels and motels. I may as well just pay the five 10 extra dollars and get full privacy.

Joseph1251
Level 1
Kaysville, UT

Airbnb is indeed too Greedy. They once offered a service that was actually delivering value to guests, but now they are trying to basically play just like the hotels. With the variability of what you get when you arrive at an unknown Airbnb location / host, it can cost the same as a hotel, but with a hotel you will at least get a consistent experience. Airbnb allowing a night to list as $80 a night, but then the real rate with cleaning fees, taxes and egregious service fees, the night comes out to be $150 a night?! Get real.

GREED GREED GREED no wonder people are leaving Airbnb in droves.  They make it almost impossible to contact them, they take the full accom cost as soon as you've made the booking, unlike other companies like bookings dot com who take your amount 2 days before you check in.  The Host doesnt even get the money a customer paid until after the guest leaves, meanwhile all the money is in the Owner's bank.  We are so dumb.  Back to hotels and the good old bed and breakfast stays for me.

Forgot, in Australia, the ACCC is suing them !