Are guests required to follow cleaning instructions by hosts?

Answered!
Lani20
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Are guests required to follow cleaning instructions by hosts?

My friends and I have stayed at a few Airbnb’s over the past couple of months and I noticed all of them left cleaning instructions that they were expecting us to follow. They wanted us to wash our towels, take out trash, wash our dishes, strip the beds/pillows of sheets, etc. They all charged us a hefty cleaning fee, so I don’t understand why they expect us to do most of the cleaner’s job. I mean I definitely believe in respecting the units and keeping them tidy, but normal mess like laundry, trash, dishes should not be the guests responsibility.  We had to wake up extra early to ensure all those tasks were done on top of packing our things and getting ready to check out by 10 or 11am. And I’m sorry, but when you’re on vacation, having to wake up early and clean is very annoying. For that reason alone I will most likely not be using airbnb again. At hotels, they don’t require you to do anything. So why do we pay 200 dollar cleaning fees when we do a lot of the work?

1 Best Answer
Donna316
Level 4
Tasman, New Zealand

As a host I dont charge a cleaning fee.  Would like to though but have thought it could put off prospective guests. So a $200 cleaning fee astounds me!  All I ask guests to do, "in the manual" is if they get time before they leave it is appreciated if they could wash and dry their dishes and put away. Most do not.  The most that is done is maybe washed and left on bench.  I do find most guests dont wash things properly anyway so I quite often have to rewash them.  I do have a vacumn in the Studio in a corner but that is for me to use so I dont have to carry it there everytime I clean. I also have a spray bottle of cleaner and clean cloth under the kitchen bench, but again that is only for if guests were to spill something I ask if they could clean it up.  Once in a blue moon I have had the sheets stripped off the bed which is awesome but I definitely do not ask for it to be done.  I would never ask guests to put washing on as someone said above, I always check for stains, that would require stain remover. If guests are staying for some days I do leave extra bin liners for inside rubbish and tell them where our large outside rubbish bins are so they can dispose of it, but if guests only staying for a night or 2 I don't expect them to do that either.   When I am a guest in a hotel, I always wash and dry my dishes and put away and wipe down bench.  I make sure to get up early enough to make time. I leave all wet towels in a pile in the bathroom and also leave the rest of the place how I found it.  As I said above if I was paying a $200 cleaning fee, (I wouldn't book a place that had a fee that high!),  I probably wouldn't be so pedantic with the dishes etc.

View Best Answer in original post

46 Replies 46

Thanks for the input. And thanks for helping me to understand my membership start date

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

I have had guests for over 15 years in two homes.  Guests are expected to clean up the kitchen and do their dishes.  They are expected to put their trash in the trash can.  My cleaning lady is not a personal maid.