Are hair dryer and iron important?

Jamie69
Level 7
Wheat Ridge, CO

Are hair dryer and iron important?

I don't currently have a hair dryer nor iron and ironing board available for my guests.

They're inexpensive items, so I could provide them pretty easily, though I'd have to figure out a place to store them.

I did have a guest inquiry a few days ago asking if there was an iron available. I responded to the inquiry that I did not have an iron but that I have been meaning to get one and promised the guest that I would have one for his stay. He asked a few more questions, then never booked the room.

So... I'm just curious if it's worth the expense to provide these items?

Jamie

23 Replies 23
MicheleandLouw0
Level 10
Maun, Botswana

Since I list my cottage with a washing machine there has to be an ironing board and iron. But if you only rent out a room the guest can use yours I suppose. I also do suplly a hair drier.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Hair dryers, irons, toaster ovens and toasters, i.e. any small appliance that heats up very quickly and very hot are big electricity hogs. I'm not saying not to provide these things if you choose to, just to know that if someone uses the hair dryer 2 or three times a day, or leaves a curling iron, for instance, plugged in and on, you may notice a higher electric bill than normal.

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Jamie69 I got this simple compact board and guest use it from time to time. I personally like to iron my clothes before I go out but that’s just me. I bought two hairdryers too because “two is one and one is none”.5D2151B9-C11B-4BC6-8254-58C218715D1F.png

check out the list of cheap hair dryers hope it will help you http://thefashionupdates.com/best-hair-dryers/

Damien166
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

My advice for any users reading this is simple based on my personal experiences....

If a host doesn't have the basic, ultra cheap items such as hair dryer, iron... even a cork screw ! don't rent it .... why ? because in my experiences its indicative of what you can expect from the host and the property... i.e. the host is generally scrimping...... which can mean... untidy, poor cleaning as they either don't do it or certainly won't pay for it professionally..... the quality of items in the property is generally poor.....

its sounds trivial but its usually the case...

Ask for the basics beforehand..... it gives you a good clue...

reviews can be misleading as people are so subjective...... pinch of salt when reading reviews, the more the better as you statisically better chance of getting like minded users, also read reviews in detail.....

the thread makes me laugh when I read hair dryer and iron, its peanuts to sort... and it might secure a positive review... as people have said, business users, professionals, people attending functions..... people forget things like hair dryers and to then find the host doesn't have one.... its the little things that are the most annoying.....

I need to go now, as I need to dry my hair

(South Europe)

-Hair drier are used by women especially if they have long hair which require hours to dry naturally.

-Iron. No guest asked for it yet and I would only buy one if there is demand for it.

When will we start acting in a sustainable manner? If you buy every peripherical items that a guest could ask for it is an irrational behavior from a sustainability viewpoint.

Ashleigh80
Level 1
Texas, United States

Most definitely! I rarely use a hair dryer when I stay in hotels or bnbs, but I almost always require an iron. I absolutely hate walking around in wrinkled dresses and shirts, so I check for an iron in the list of amenities before booking a stay. I think a cheap iron and a small table top or bed top ironing board sound like a good idea and would take up less space than a full size ironing board.

@Ashleigh80  I just have a private room home share listing, and there is really no space in the guest room for even a small ironing board. However, I'm a professional seamstress with a workshop building on my property. Guests are welcome to use the full size ironing board and iron in there. Need a needle and thread to sew a button back on? I have any color thread you might need. I've even done quicky free repairs for guests who find they have a ripped seam in their clothes.

Believe it or not, some hosts have had guests iron something directly on the carpet or bed, scorching a big hole in it!

Eli20854
Level 2
New York, NY

These items can be requested before booking. But outside of towels, blankets, soaps and shampoos, hair dryers and irons are specialty items that are almost never requested from my guests. So percentage wise, they’re not necessity items; so guests aught not expect hosts to have them.