Are hosts the worst guests?

Luana130
Level 10
State of Bahia, Brazil

Are hosts the worst guests?

I have read a few comments people made about how hosting other hosts was a bad experience for them, did you guys ever had a bad experience when receiving other hosts?

I would imagine that being a host yourself you would be more respectful of other people spaces, just as you wish people did with yours.

I just had a bad host stay over with some friends. I had a full house so I actually had to buy some new sheets because I did not have enough for their group (relevant later). They started by asking if they could check-in early (check-in is at 3pm), I told them no because we had guests leaving and we had to get the apartment ready after, but that they could drop theis bags and I could store them. They arrived at noon to drop their bags, the cleaner had just started cleanning and they decided to sit outside the apartment door until she finished, annoying but I let go. Day before check-out I send my regular pre-check-out message, he tells me that their flight wasn't untill late at night and asks if they can stay until later, I told them that as I did not have another guest arriving that day he could stay until 1pm, but that the cleaner needed to clean by them. They insisted, and against my better judgment I told him if he paid for the maid to came the next day I would allow him to stay until 8pm. He agreed. 8pm cames, windows are open, air conditioning on, no sign of them leaving. I start sending messages and the replies are always "we are leaving", but never do. They end up leaving past 10pm. Now to the bad part.

I go in the next morning and they left the windows open, and they had removed all the sheets from the beds and tuck them away at different spots... strange...When I check the sheets 4 sets were stained with blood, some with a lot of it, another sheet and a towel were also stainned with something else. 3 of the sheets stained were the brand new ones I had bought, first use. I asked him what happened, he said one of his friends cut himself. 

I send another message with a claim for the sheets and towel, told him that I was going to try to get them cleaned, but because I had a guest arriving I had to send the claim now as per airbnb protocol. Told him he didn't need to take any action at this moment as I was going to do what I could to get the stains out first.

He declined the request, almost the minute he got it. I am still trying to clean, but it really annoyed me that he would not even wait.

4 Replies 4
Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Luana130 

Your guest sounds like he’s worked you to his advantage.

There a little known AirBnb rule that if guests overstay their welcome by part of another night, then a host can charge them a whole nights accommodation fee. With your guest, I’d charge that in its entirety. 

Id guess that in declining your payment request then you should be able to escalate it for non-payment after 48 hours. Do that. Photograph your sheets as evidence and provide the receipts for the purchased sheets.

You will have a battle on your hands but persevere until you obtain a satisfactory result.

The anomaly of payment requests are that only one can be in action or operable at one time. You may need to see your sheets charges to completion before claiming for the extra nights accommodation fees. 

In the meantime, compose your thoughts as you do have the benefit of a review on your side.

Good luck, I hope you reach a satisfactory result.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Luana130  Sorry about your bad guests. I've read lots of stories on the forum about bad host/guests but I've had 4 myself and they were all great. Maybe there's a difference between those hosts who home-share and those who list entire places, I don't know. I suspect that hosts don't make any worse or better guests than the general population, it's just that we have some expectation that other hosts would be good guests and are then shocked or dismayed when they turn out not to be.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

First of all, @Luana130 , I have been lucky that all my host-guests so far have been great guests, so it is not all hosts. @Sarah977 has a good point about the general population and percentages.

But four sets of blood-stained sheets?! Four sets?! Cut himself and bled in all the beds, did he? And that super-late late check-out? And sitting and waiting, toes tapping, until the cleaner is done to get the earliest check-in? What on earth were they up to? Sounds like what you found was a crime scene. 

Best of luck with the next steps @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 suggest. 

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Luana130 

Teh other thing I'd wonder is if this guest really was a host.

Did they say that to you or did you just see on their profile "xxx is also a host"?

I ask because I have had 2 lots of guests stay where I was informed they were also hosts, but when I mentioned it to them, they said they'd never hosted in their lives and there were certainly no listings attached to their profile.

This doesn't help you at all of course, but just wondering.

Others have already offered excellent advice.

Id also suggest coming here before posting your feedback comment - perhaps post what you plan to say  - other hosts are usually very generous at offering advice/constructive criticism/rewording to ensure you come across as professional adn also to ensure your statements do not violate any rules which could result in the review being removed

So sorry you've had such a negative experience and good luck sorting it out.  Personally I'd be most furious about the super late checkout...