Are others seeing unreasonable guest requests?

Are others seeing unreasonable guest requests?

Clearly, the world knows airbnb hosts are hurting, but we have been BOMBARDED by what I'd call bad actors who are trying to take advantage of the situation.  We've had guests negotiate longterm rates and then ask for only 5 days with the same rate, guests flat out asking for us to cut our rates even more (we're down to 25% of regular rates).  

Thankfully, we are positioned to weather this storm and don't rely on airbnb as our primary income source, but we're trying to do whatever we can to help our cleaning teams stay working because they do rely on this income.  We're willing to lose some money (and have discounted our properties to the point where we won't make a dime and typically will lose money) to ensure they have work, but some of the requests we've gotten have been outlandish!  One guest requesting $1500/month on a property that normally rents for over $4000.  Keep in mind we'd already reduced it to $2,000 (already at a significant loss) and marketed it directly to nurses or doctors because the home is located near a major university health system hospital.  

We will 100% lose money in the coming months, and I'm okay with that to help our cleaning and maintenance folks, but does anyone else think some guests are trying to take advantage of vulnerable hosts?  Not all hosts can say no to these extreme requests, but I feel badly for those that are getting taken advantage of.  I hope airbnb actually reads the reports on guests who are quite literally spamming tons of hosts to see who will cave and give them the best deal.  Kicking people when they're down is NOT a good look.

6 Replies 6
Ashley678
Level 7
Apache Junction, AZ

amen !!!

LITERALLY moments after posting this, I got a request from someone asking if they could bring their own King size bed and mattress for a month-long request.  They wanted me to disassemble and move the current Queen bed and mattress in advance of their stay! 

WHO TRAVELS WITH THEIR OWN BED?! 

I know times are crazy right now, but I think this has brought out some really strange antics from guests.  

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

Unreasonable guests are everywhere and we have handled many of them in the past, all types of requests. Especially there are some guests bargaining for discount or with limited budget. As I understand there are some cultural difference we need to keep in mind. In some countries bargaining on the price is "the norm" when you go to any market, although in US it's mostly not the case. Another thing is that people like to bug around see if they can get away with a cheaper price. They probably ask 100 hosts around and there's usually a good chance there will be a host willing to work with them then they win it. Nothing to piss about just reply no and move on if it bothers you. This is normal reception with open door business.

I think you're missing the point.  I don't mind a little haggling, but every host has likely already reduced their pricing to the point where they are breaking even at best.  It's really unfortunate that some guests are preying on fear and uncertainty to get people to rent their homes at a SIGNIFICANT loss.  

I'm doing exactly as you say and turning them away.  My position is that I'm upset for the people who can't afford to say no to these deadbeats.  Not everyone is in a position to say no and are likely accepting unreasonable terms because they aren't sure how they're going to pay their bills.  My original post is about them, not myself.  

Brenda328
Level 10
South Dakota, United States

It's actually worse than the guest just trying to get a good deal.  I have had multiple guests that outright told me they already have a reservation with another host, but my house is larger and has a private pool and is now much less expensive than their current reservation.  So they want to cancel their current reservation, get a full refund, completely shaft another host who has held a reservation on that property for them for months, and then rent my property for less.  No thanks.

Good on you for fighting the good fight.  I've never been a social justice warrior, but preying on people in a time of need has my blood boiling.  Thankfully, I don't NEED their money, and I tell them how terrible they are acting and report their profiles.

Airbnb is going to end up with even more of these bad actors when it's all said and done I'm afraid because of the precedence being set right now.  In 3+ years of hosting, I've gotten maybe 10 guests try to "negotiate" a rate.  I'm a nice guy, and if it's reasonable, I'll generally try to work with them.  In the past week, I bet we've gotten 30 requests that flat out DEMAND we lower our prices even more if we want their business.  I'm to the point now where it's not even worth my time to respond to them.  Mark as spam and move on.  I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one...