Are those supposed to be included ?

Cecile234
Level 1
Arusha, Tanzania

Are those supposed to be included ?

Hello

I am renting my house to exigent guests... they stay for 5 weeks and they are asking me to buy toilet paper, rubbish bags, soap for the washing machine.

i am a bit confused and wondering if I’m supposed to provide that cause he’s the first guest to ask in one year since I started to rent my house, or if I should tell him to buy his own.

thank you 

3 Replies 3

@Cecile234 at five weeks, this stay is just over the line into long term territory. With long term stays, there's no requirement that the host restock the guest's groceries. If you provided enough toilet paper and bin liners to get the guest through, say, their first week, I would think that's sufficient.

The guest might happen to feel differently about it, so you might want to choose your words carefully when prompting them to buy their own supplies. This isn't the kind of thing that Airbnb has a rule about - you have to manage the property the way you see fit, and communicate as clearly as possible what guests should expect. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Cecile234 

Normally with whole listing you would provide a start up pack for washing up liquid, washing machine powder, coffee and tea etc.

Probably worth mentioning this in your listing. 

After that the guest provides their own.

What does it say in the  Visitor Guide you provide  for your guests? 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Cecile234 

What do you specify in the amenities section of the listing? If the guest is asking for anything listed their, I can see why they expect it. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to specify on the listing that you only supply that amenity to a limited extent and not for the entire stay. If I was a guest, I would think it reasonable to expect a supply for the whole stay.

When it comes to things that are not specified as amenities, that's a different matter.

I host long-term guests but I am a live-in host, so my situation is a bit different. I provide things like toilet paper, shampoo, shower gel, hand soap etc. throughout the stay. In terms of cleaning materials, I buy all of these, but either I or my cleaners are doing the cleaning, not the guest. I do expect the guests to buy their own laundry detergent though, but some seem to forget this and just help themselves to mine.

If I was a live-out host and had long-term guests, I would probably supply enough of these things to get them started. However, I would be very clear about that beforehand. A lot of successful hosting is down to managing expectations.