Are you too kind to give honest bad reviews?

Mindy115
Level 2
Brighton, Canada

Are you too kind to give honest bad reviews?

I had declined a booking because the person who had only one review of one star, I really thank the host who took time writing about the incident and gave honest review that helped me making the right decision.

I am not sure if I had done the right thing by giving almost every  guest 5 star reviews, I know from my heart not everyone deserves that. 

Minze
5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mindy115  Reviews are meant to be honest. They aren't for the purpose of being nice to everyone, they are to give an accurate picture of the experience you had.  Guests have no qualms about pointing out negatives in their reviews- hosts shouldn't either.

If you leave a 5*review for a guest who ignored your house rules, left a big mess behind, and/or communicated poorly, you certainly aren't being kind to other hosts.

So what's more important, to warn other hosts about a bad guest, or to refrain from mentioning that the guest left a filthy kitchen full of dirty dishes and a stovetop swimming in grease, when in fact, they did?

Stating facts isn't being unkind. People have control over their behavior, and if they don't show respect, why should they get a good review?

Sometimes you can balance it- maybe the guest answered all your messages promptly, checked in and out on time, and was pleasant in communication, but ignored a house rule to please remove street shoes at the door, and tracked mud all over the carpets. Speak to the positive as well as the negative. And there's no need to list all the gritty details. Lines like "Extensive cleaning time was required" tells other hosts what they need to know.

And please make sure not to leave lowered stars but a nice written review. Hosts who don't use Instant Book are not shown guests'star ratings- we rely on the written reviews, so keep them in line with the star rating.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mindy115  P.S. In case you weren't aware, guests can't see the star ratings hosts leave for them.

Thanks

Minze
Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Mindy115 

Welcome to the community 😊

You make a right decision to decline 1 star review guest or the unwanted guest to your home.

As the review are the backbone of Airbnb's community and maintain that structure, Airbnb has guidelines to ensure all reviews are fair, honest, and relevant to the guest travel and experience. In addition to helping another host to be corresponding.

Your honest reviews are greatly appreciated. 

The host is responsible for educating the guest especially in the home accommodation.

And, with the guest necessary to do better in the future.

As a matter of fact, the guest can see the stars of the review, the public can't be see the detail of star's rating.

Happy Hosting ✌️

Thanks Dale and Dan, luckily most of my guests are pretty good, small tolerable mess doesn’t bother me much, I guess that’s what partially makes me the happy host😊

Minze