Armed Robbery, Home Invasion, Atlantic City, August 2020, TRAMATIZED FAMILY

Brandi103
Level 2
New York, United States

Armed Robbery, Home Invasion, Atlantic City, August 2020, TRAMATIZED FAMILY

Curious if anyone else has had a similar experience, specifically in Atlantic City NJ

August 2020 my family and I rented an entire house

2 days into our stay were were robbed at gunpoint during an armed home invasion, despite security system and locked doors

There had to be hidden cameras in the house

Immediately called 911, alarm went off when we opened the door for the police (the intruders must have disabled the back door alarm) and the host (despite calling the host 4 times at 2am, she would not answer)

Spoke to police and Airbnb Safety team, explained we did not want this to happen to anyone else, they assured me, it would not!

46 hours after our robbery, the same house was robbed, different family, rented under Airbnb

Few days later, same thing

I am furious that the property is listed again as NEW PROPERTY, NEW HOST (identity verified).  Same pictures, same description, more expensive

Obviously with it being a new property, all the negative reviews are removed

I have reached out to everyone and no one can or is willing to help

Any ideas?!?!?

Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience

14 Replies 14
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Brandi103 

This is really extreme....

Brandi103
Level 2
New York, United States

So upsetting!!!  My kids were traumatized, probably for a lifetime.  And airbnb won't remove property!! I dont want anyone else's kids to have guns to their heads, nightmares,  etc. 

@Brandi103  I'm so sorry to hear about this horrifying experience, all the best wishes to you and your family in your recovery from this trauma. 

I haven't heard of an incident quite like yours, but it sounds like perhaps you're suspicious that the host was responsible for the robbery?

Brandi103
Level 2
New York, United States

Very suspicious of the host!!! 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Brandi103 this is indeed horrifying. Are the police not pursuing it?

FWIW you can flag the new listing(s) to bring them back to Airbnb's attention.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/4/how-does-airbnb-help-build-trust-between-hosts-and-guests

https://www.airbnb.com/neighbors

Brandi103
Level 2
New York, United States

The police do not have any updates,  when I ask 

I flagged the host, the listing was removed. Then same house listed as NEW PROPERTY,  NEW HOST, same exact pictures and descriptions. 

I have notified everyone,  they say they will look into it and get back to me,  yet never do.

Some have told me to mind my business,  keep it moving, I just dont want another family to go through what we did....our kids had guns to their heads, over iphones and cash?!?!?

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Brandi103 How do you know the house was robbed a 2nd time?

Brandi103
Level 2
New York, United States

Nj crime map and police blotters, less than 48 hours after our home invasion 

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Brandi103 I am so sorry to hear this, i hope you are all doing ok and that your children are able to forget such a terrible thing. 

@Katie @Lizzie @Liv @Quincy @Nick  @Airbnb could one of you please address this! Thanks

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Really sorry for this horrifying experience  @Brandi103 I genuinely hope you guys can leave the memory of such an event behind you. Escalating this to the appropriate department now. 

Brandi103
Level 2
New York, United States

Nick, thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I gave been promised several times it was being escalated,  still no reply 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

In your situation I would reach out to your local media. @Brandi103 

Do you have a victim support organisation in your country- would be worth getting in touch as you and your kids are understandably  traumatised. 

best of luck 

Meghan172
Level 1
New York, NY

@Brandi103 same thing happened to me and my friend...traumatizing is right. the police never did anything to help and try to find these guys.. My friends and I did research ourselves and presented to detectives with the evidence and NAMES of the people who were involved. If you want to reach out to me and talk about it, im curious if it was the same rental? 

Brandi103
Level 2
New York, United States

@Meghan172, I am so sorry, I just saw your reply. Hoping you see this and can email me **  thank you!!

**Personal information hidden