As a Seasoned and Cynical Host, Why am I so...

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

As a Seasoned and Cynical Host, Why am I so...

I've been an Airbnb host for 3 years and landlord for 20 years.

I am seasoned and cynical. Yet, why am I always so slow to see the scam?

Guests booked for 20 days. Not my preference, but so be it.

Guests had a "service" poodle.  I really don't like that. 

Day 1. Complaints that smoke from previous guests inflamed wife's asthma, but they would suffer for 5 days.

(There was no smoke smell in well-aired unit. Really really hate them and want them gone)

I emailed them that they were more than welcome to leave sooner.

Day 3: demanded extra set of keys. Sigh.

Day 5. They leave. Yeah!   Strangely left a folded up blood-stain sheet inside of my bedding... 

Mind you, this is a sheet that they brought.

Day 10: I get an Airbnb message asking to refund them because Airbnb has "proof" of unclean blood-stained  sheets. 

I know, I know. I should have given them one night free and asked them to leave their 2nd day. I really am slow.

34 Replies 34
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Paul154 @Kimberlee2 @Beverly44 @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 @Casita-By-The-Texas-Bay0@Lawrene@Sarah@Branka & Silvia@Stephanie@everyone-else

A word of advice, when you have challenges with Guests, whip out your camera and take photos as to how they have left one's room/ property before you clean it up so you have the evidence at hand as a safeguard.

@Paul was it freshly blood stained sheets?

Or one that had been washed and left there?

All part of evidential thresholds!

As an aside, I'm aware of a motel in Auckland where tragically a murder took place and the Manager & his staff to this day have never ripped up or replaced the carpet, bed or repainted the room and the blood stains are still there. I'm aware of this as a very professional person in the know unfortunately had one of their staff checked into the room, not knowing which room the incident took place,  some months after the incident & shone blue light torch on and around the room which picked up on those details. Consequently they will never ever book there to stay again, neither will those in the know.

It pays to do thorough background checks of properties when booking accomodation.

All the best

Central To All Home & Location

Eugene78
Level 3
СПБ, Russia

Oh yes, service poodle and asthma...

So sorry to hear you have had a rough time! Sounds horrendous, and I would feel the same way as you. When you put so much effort into hosting in order for your guests to have a good time it's really disheartening when something like this happens.

I screen all guests as best as I can but there's still an element of risk isn't there? I had a nosy at this: https://www.airgms.com/how-to-screen-airbnb-guests/

You might already be going down the screening route, but just thought I would mention on off-chance!

Keep us posted on the outcome!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia
Laís2
Level 2
Amsterdam, NL

That’s so ridiculous! I’m just having that situation right now. My guests demanded that I change their bed sheet because it has some red stains on it. Saying they ‘just noticed it’ and that beds were made that way. I did change it but made them well aware that these stains were not there when they checked in yesterday. They already slept a night and sent this message tonight at 7pm. As i personally washed and checked the beds, I know they stained it. The stains are bright red and it kinda looks like blood but she still disagrees. Not sure she knows and is doing this on purpose or not. Idk how to deal with it, besides what ive already done, but im afraid they are going to do the same to me when they leave.