As a guest I left my coat behind. Host said she'd post it but is now ignoring messages...

As a guest I left my coat behind. Host said she'd post it but is now ignoring messages...

tessy3 crop.pngHi Guys... Anyone else been in this predicament?.. It's a loss for me, I don't think there's anything else I can do to get my coat posted to me since the host is just fobbing me off.

I left a brand new coat which I'd never worn behind in my host's cupboard. I didn't want to put it in there but there was nothing to hang it on in the room, the doorhandle was too low and the coat dragged on the floor. So I regrettably put it in there.  After leaving I realised it was left behind and contacted her and she said she had it. The problem for is I left it near Arvika in Sweden and I live in Australia!

The coat, I bought for my b'day at $140 and I explained I'd pay her whatever it costs to send, I offered to give my credit card details or pay her by paypal even. I explained I'd pay however much it costs, seems she just lead me along making out she'd do it. When I asked in August she said she was busy and that it was coming. So I let it go a while before asking her again. Next week would be 3 months and I've asked her about it twice on facebook in the last 2 days and she just ignores me and posts stuff or replies to other people... It's just a shame that people are so unkind. It's just under half a week's rent, that I paid for it. I'm a carer of an autistic child and on a pension at present and that was something I bought myself for my b'day that I wouldn't normally just buy. I was travelling with my son too and with lots to think about I actually thought I HAD taken it from the cupboard! Silly, silly me... 

I know it's a nuisance for her to visit the post office, I would have even paid her for her time but she really can't be bothered even discussing it. She's just selfish and a liar and would rather keep it, or give it away than accept some money and return it to me like she said she would.

On a sidenote, Swedish people are very kind, she isn't Swedish, fair to say. Perhaps I'll write a travel tip about not putting clothes in cupboards when holidaying in far away places when I start my website and write my blog about my trip to Sweden. It's really great when hosts have a clothes rack with hangers! One less thing to worry about..

7 Replies 7
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Samantha60  If your messaging was through Air BNB, which is always advisable, please contact Air BNB and request intervention.  I suggest you use the Air BNB Twitter account to launch your request if you can.  Otherwise, Google Air BNB Contact for other options of contacting.  It seems you understand what an imposition and effort you are asking of the host, but you have been been patient if it has been 3 months.

Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

That's terrible! I would definitely send all of the conversations to Airbnb. I hope they can do something. If not, maybe your complaint will help someone in the future if this behavior is a pattern for the host. If it were me, I might also send a letter on legal stationary. I'm not sure about the laws in Sweden but most countries have laws against keeping someone's belongings and I imagine Sweden does as well. 

Let us know how it goes!

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I am not aware of any law that would require somebody to post it, would be odd if there was one, now if you had gone back and she would not hand it over, that would be a different situation.

From a practical point of view I wonder if it is worth it, to mail a coat from Sweden to Australia probably costs the price of getting a new one.

David

@David126, unless mega heavy, around 30 dollars would be my estimate. I get parcels from Sweden constantly. As for me, I am off to the post office on Monday to mail off schampoo and conditioner left behind! A nuisance, but they were apparently sufficiently expensive to warrant posting. There is a first time for everything.

I looked up the cost from US to Sweden, there may be cheaper options, but it was showing c $75, US and of course I made some assumptions on weight and size.

David
Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Samantha60 I'd be tempted to go to the Resolution Centre and put in a request for $140, the cost of replacement of your coat. That might get her moving on it? 3 months is a ridiculous amount of time to have to wait, I think the vast majority of hosts would have had that in the mail to you within a few days. - Karen

Do you have any friends in the town?  Send one of them to pick it up?

Is there a courier service that you could hire to go pick it up and send it to you?

I like the idea of asking for payment for it via the resolution center.

Do you have her phone number?  Maybe calling and asking in person would help.

Can you mail her a 'postage prepaid' box that she could put it in and set out for the postal carrier?

She is clearly not a good host to string you along like this.

Bad host, no biscuit.