As a host, what do you do when a guest arrives much later than agreed?

Rob535
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

As a host, what do you do when a guest arrives much later than agreed?

Hi there,

I am wondering how other hosts handle a guest that arrives late? 

My listing is for the entire apartment and upon the guests request I agreed to meet them at the apartment for the key exchange at 11:00am. I originally offered for them to pick up keys at a "Key Cafe" service downstairs, so they could arrive anytime, but they are not able to enter any businesses since they are arriving to Canada and required to self-isolate for 14 days.

After 1.5 hours of being left in the dark, I received a text message from the guest that they are running late (they were not on an airplane, but travelling here by car about 3 hours away) and had not left yet. It is now 3:00pm and they have clarified they are due to arrive between 4:30-5:30pm.

Needless to say, this has been a big inconvenience for me as I have been stuck at the apartment for hours waiting for them to arrive. I had to cancel all appointments in the afternoon as I was not sure when they would arrive. I did not want to leave and go about my day, and then have them arrive out of the blue and have to make them wait.

Am I able to charge them a fee for arriving late? What is the protocol here? I understand that things happen when traveling and people can experience delays, but for almost 2 hours I didn't receive any update and now their arrival time is almost 6 hours later than originally agreed to. They were able to notify me that they would be late, but didn't do so.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rob535  Very rude of them, but one of those things that happen. I probably would have not just waited for them all day, but instead told them, when they let you know they wouldn't be there at 11, to call me when they were about a half hour (or however long it would have taken you to get there from where you were going to be) away and then gone to meet them.

As these guests have at least a 14 day booking, I think that showing annoyance or trying to charge them extra would start the booking off on the wrong foot and could very well lead them to find fault with many things and leave you a bad review. I know it's angering to be disrespected like that, but I'd chill out and let this one go.

If they start pushing boundaries or acting disrespectfully or demandingly in other ways, then address it professionally if and when it arises.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Very annoying. But why didn't you just leave it at the key cafe, if say they weren't there an hour after they were due.and if they hadn't notified you that they would be late. @Rob535 

No need to wait hours.

@Helen3  I think you missed his explanation in the second paragraph. Anyone entering Canada at this time, including Canadian citizens and residents, is required to go straight to their destination where they must self-quarantine for 14 days. If they can't prove they have a place to quarantine, they have to go into a govt. quarantine facility. The guests weren't allowed to enter the key cafe, or any other place of business.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

you are right @Sarah977  I did 😞 🙂

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Like @Sarah977 says, @Rob535, trying to charge these (very rude) guests extra will end in tears, especially as I note you have a minimum 30 day setting. You just need to put it down to experience. If you ask Airbnb to intervene they'll simply say to suck it up as your check in-time is listed as 15:00 - 20:00. 

As hard as it'll be, smile (even if through gritted teeth) and think of the 
money.