Asked to leave early due to apartment sold.

Asked to leave early due to apartment sold.

Hi, my family and I moved into a long stay air bnb recently.  Now the apartment has been sold and we didn't know it was for sale until we saw the sign outside on the day we moved in.  Now, a week after moving in, the host wants us to leave two weeks before our leave date.  We have already paid for our stay and have nowhere else to go if we leave early.  Can I be forced to leave early?

7 Replies 7

@Sophie1663  Yes, you can. Airbnb does not have the power to force your hosts' hand if for any reason they want to terminate your booking. But of course they will have to refund you the cost of the unused dates. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Definitely rude behavior on the part of the host to want to wring every last penny out of his rental before selling, but as Andrew says, no one can force the host to let you stay. 

Even though this place has sold or is in the process of being sold, if you have a opportunity to leave a review (like the host doesn't delist the place right away or has other listings under his profile), make sure to say what happened your review. Reviews are linked to the host's profile, not the individual listing, so if the host has other rentals, or opens one in the future, at least future guests will be warned what this host has done this to you.

@Sophie1663 

Thanks guys, so yes it looks like we're leaving early and currently working with the host to find somewhere else to live. Thanks for your support.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Sophie1663 first off, make sure that you host cancels you through Airbnb. Don’t do it yourself or you will loose some of the fees. Once they do, you can reach out to airbnb. My understanding is that they help guests get rebooked and even give some sort of voucher in situations like these. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

unfortunately, when a place is listed on a platform that refunds guests without consulting hosts I'm sure it has happened that folks ended up selling rather than staying listed. I hope the rest of your trip works out well!

@Sophie1663,

I don't think you are forced to leave the house. You have to check local laws. If I rent an house in Italy, and more or less throughout Europe, I cannot force the tenants (guests) to go away before the end of the lease except for serious reasons. At least according to the law. Certainly the sold of the house is not a serious reason, he had to respect your agreement first. I think Airbnb would agree with me, but of course can't help you a lot. I would call assistance.

Your host is very unfair but you can find an agreement and leave the house: don't be satisfied for only reimbursement of unused nights because probably your damages are higher.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Sophie1663 it depends on the length of the booking and where in the world. If you have a long term booking, you may have tenancy rights and be protected by law.