Attitudes to guests wanting to drop off luggage ahead of checkin-in time and also price haggling?

David563
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Attitudes to guests wanting to drop off luggage ahead of checkin-in time and also price haggling?

Be flexible or stick to my guns? 

17 Replies 17
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Depends.

I'm not in a super touristy area, so I dont have tourists dropping off luggage, but I would be inclined to allow it.

Price haggling, no thanks.

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

are you still in the inquiry stage with these people, or have they booked? Price haggling is no good, unless it is a longer stay, but I think you have discounts in place for that. Your check in time is 3 pm. how much sooner do they want to drop off their luggage? Sounds to me that you already communicated your rules to them, so perhaps you'd want to stick to your guns - and not get into it with them.

Randy27
Level 1
Cleveland, TN

Personally, if it weren't any trouble for me I'd be ok with it but if it were an inconvenience for me I'd explain that it's an inconvenience and be gracious in telling them such.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Think about it from a guest perspective- you arrive early in a city but can't have your room till say 3 pm - you would love to be abke to drop your bags off it at all possible.

Haggling on price is a no no from our perspective- if they can't afford your rate then they should look for something in their budget. We have turned down anyone looking for a discount over and above an already discounted weekly rate.

I agree with Gerry and Rashid.  We have a lot of our guests coming to see the sights of Lincoln and occasionally they ask if they can either park up and obtain a parking permit or, if travelling by train, drop of their luggage and then go off exploring.   Our check in is 2pm but if they arrive in the morning I would hate to spoil their day.  As the accommodation is in our home it is no problem for us to issue a permit or allow them to drop of their things early.  I don't give them a key until they have officially checked in.

Sharon114
Level 10
Lincoln, United Kingdom

I also do not haggle on price.  If a guests wants something cheaper they have the option to look elsewhere.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Haggling is a no. Luggage is a yes if you can manage it, but I would not show the space until clean and totally ready, no walking into unmade bedrooms etc.

''place was messy and we decided to stay elsewhere''. Just a heads-up.

Basically treat as you want to be treated, always imagine that you are the guest. It will give you the answers.

@David563   I say, no to price haggling it usually ends in tears or hair pulling. I do let people drop bags off early or leave them after check out or I suggest a luggage storage if I can't be here, most are in tourist areas, near airport access, subways, etc. and reasonably priced.  I always ask them to keep in touch as twice the guests decided to do tourist stuff with their bags, didn't say anything and I waited around for hours for them to arrive!

David563
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Fantastic. I'm brand new to hosting so this is very helpful. thank-you 🙂

David563
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Fab thanks so much. That's really helped. 🙂

Kate149
Level 2
Portland, OR

I always allow my guests to drop off their luggage before check in. And if it's convenient I check them in early giving them the house keys with the understanding that the room and facilities are not available until 3 p.m. Doing this allows me to have my afternoon free after my rooms are ready and I am free to come and go not having to wait for an unknowable hour of check in. I try to stay as flexible as possible and if I cannot fulfill a guests request I always explain simply and kindly why it is not possible.   Allowing allowing guests who arrive at odd early morning hours to come right by the house and unload their burden makes for a happy guest. Usually guests who request early baggage drop off have come in on an overnight flight either from out of the country or the east coast. Long flights.  And no, price haggling is never something I do. I just don't think it's a wise thing and really can set you off on the wrong foot with a guest. 

David563
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Fantastic, thanks for the great advice. You're been really helpful  🙂

I don't have a problem allowing guests to drop off luggage ahead of time... I treat others how I'd like to be treated; I'd hate to have to lug my luggage around until check-in time.

Fantastic, thank-you so much for your help. 🙂