August app

August app

We have been hosts for over 8 years.  At first we had a lock box and now we have a simple key pad and change the code all the time.  We have found out that Air BnB is promoting the August app on phones for entry.  We were guests this week and were told to load it on one of our phones.  It was a nightmare.  We wasted over an hour the night before check in on it.  The hosts tried to help us, but it still did not work.  They finally gave us the code.  We contacted August and found out they have almost no support.  They even asked us to take a picture of the lock.  Now how on earth can you do that when you have not even arrived at the place?  They finally contacted us 2 days after we checked in and my husband was able to load the app on his phone.  After this experience I would never inflict this on our own guests.  And in the future, when traveling I will ask hosts up front if they are using August and just ask for the code.  Plus what about older folks that do not have smart phones?  I found one thread on line that showed many people are not happy with this app.  I would like to hear more and to ask what Air BnB plans to do going forward.

3 Replies 3
Vivian860
Level 5
Richmond, ME

That way of check-in is squachy 

Laurel128
Level 2
Miami Beach, FL

I’ve invested in more than 15 august locks per Airbnb recommendation. Customer service to fix their app problems is taking much time. August must be going thru done changes as sometimes they answer as Yale. The app is not allowing any time changes and is sending out notifications to guests with times that are 4 hours ahead. This has been going on fir 2 weeks and if you call customer service they just ask the same question. Really taking to long to fix their problems. Not sure why they had to update on their end and break what was working. Any one that can help with this????

Joel71
Level 2
Washington, DC

I installed a Yale Assure lock about a year ago that includes the August app. It integrates with Airbnb so that each guest automatically receives a unique entry code. 

Unfortunately, it’s completely unreliable: after about 11 months I started getting reports from guests that their code had stopped working in the middle of their stay (sometime in the middle of the night!).

August Support can barely communicate in written English and is of no help. 

Basically, it’s so unreliable that I’m back to using a lockbox and physical key. 

The Yale hardware, I should say, is fine. But everything related to August is buggy and terrible.

Don’t do it.