Automated message

Answered!
Carina-And-Peter0
Level 2
Shaker Heights, OH

Automated message

I just booked a place in a different time zone and got an automated message from Airbnb that it is nighttime where the host lives. I think this is a great feature and wish there would be something where hosts can use when on vacation. Of course a host should always be available when guests are staying at their unit. But when I am on vacation and no one is staying at my unit i don’t want to have to check my phone every day.  I love hosting a lot but I feel like I can never put my phone aside if I want to keep my 100% response rate. Anyone feels the same? Suggestions? 

1 Best Answer
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I love that there is a "it's nighttime where the host lives" message. I hope even the locals get that, as they do seem to come up with questions in the middle of the night even though it is nighttime where they are too.

Thanks for passing that on, @Carina-And-Peter0  -- it's good to know!

When I'm off-grid on holiday I just snooze my listing. It works well. As a guest, I would hate to get an automated message from an active listing that says, "this host is on holiday for two weeks". I'd just move on to someone who would answer. So I don't feel the same about vacation. Would snoozing work for you?

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I love that there is a "it's nighttime where the host lives" message. I hope even the locals get that, as they do seem to come up with questions in the middle of the night even though it is nighttime where they are too.

Thanks for passing that on, @Carina-And-Peter0  -- it's good to know!

When I'm off-grid on holiday I just snooze my listing. It works well. As a guest, I would hate to get an automated message from an active listing that says, "this host is on holiday for two weeks". I'd just move on to someone who would answer. So I don't feel the same about vacation. Would snoozing work for you?

@Lawrene0 

thank you or the advice about snoozing the listing. I was not aware of this option. I will try that. Regarding an automated message I was hoping to get a 24 break of the screen  once in a while. It is taking a toll to be  on alert 24/7 but the snooze might be an option.  

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Carina-And-Peter0 When you are on vacation, you can snooze your listing. If a message thread is open with any past, current, or future guests, they will still be able to contact you. But your listing will be hidden in search results so there will be no new inquiries or requests that require a response before the ticking clock runs out. I always snooze when I am on a long plane ride or unavailable during vacation. It has worked well for me. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

This "nighttime" message is a great idea

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Carina-And-Peter0 "I love hosting a lot but I feel like I can never put my phone aside if I want to keep my 100% response rate."

You have 24 hours to respond to a request or inquiry. There is zero reason to think you need to be a slave to responding immediately.

I turn my ringer off at night. There is no way I answer guest messages or requests in the midddle of the night. If a guest expects an immediate response when it's 3 am here, they aren't anyone I would want to host. 

I home share, so I don't have any issues with not being available should an in resident guest have an emergency in the middle of the night. But for hosts of entire places, you can set your phone  to only ring during certain hours for calls coming from specific numbers. So just program in the guest's number and otherwise turn off your phone during sleeping hours.