BACKUP FROM AIRBNB NON-PAYING GUESTS

Answered!
Susan837
Level 3
Portland, OR

BACKUP FROM AIRBNB NON-PAYING GUESTS

I just had a reservation for two when the guests' parents also showed up with them. AND they had two dogs they didn't tell me about. I allow pets, but I expect people to be thoughtful enough to tell me just so I can prepare by having my animals locked up when they arrive, etc. So before they even walked in, I informed them it would be $100 extra for two people for two days. They ignored me and went in. Then they left for four hours with the dogs, who barked incessantly for the full time, in their crates without water. It was hot that day, so they were in 80 degree weather with no water! I went in and gave them water.

So, the people stayed the second day and left the dogs for five hours with the incessant barking in the heat, so I gave them water again. They were just puppies.

So I filed a complaint after they left that four people showed up and would not pay. Well, Airbnb believed their lies they made up about them having asthma and the place being "dirty" and not only did not get the extra $100, but refunded the original $85 dollars! I thought they cared about hosts at Airbnb! 

The most hilarious part was the dogs shed SO MUCH HAIR because they were too hot and it took several days to vacuum all the hair that floated throughout the space. So much for asthma. Plus it was the yearly very high pollen count in Oregon, June through July. Everyone in Oregon sneezes during these months.

1 Best Answer

When I went to resolution center it said to wait 72 hours to make a complaint. But I was REALLY surprised Airbnb's resolution manager gave them their original for the two guest reservation back! They made up lies and the manager believed them! First, they should deal with the illegal extra guests no matter WHAT the liars say. I could not believe this.

So, now, Airbnb is ignoring me when I ask what the documentation was that made them give all the money back to thieves. I have sent countless emails to this manager and he sends back a form letter that ignores the issue.

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Oh dear in a situation like that, it would have been much better for you to have contacted Airbnb when the guests arrived and asked them to cancel the booking, rather than let this guests stay.

If you haven't done so already, make sure you include in your house rules that dogs will only be accepted if guests ask in advance and that dogs must not be left on the premises by themselves.

I wonder why after decided to let the extra guests and dogs stay, you waited till after the guests left to lodge a complaint with Airbnb?

Please ask Airbnb to review the messages you left for the guests regarding the dogs and extra guests requesting payment. I would not accept them returning the guest fee and would fight for the extra guest and pet fee.

@Susan837  I've seen many posts about the same problem.

I've contacted Airbnb once and found out that we are not obligated to let them in.

In other words, you should meet them in front of the house and if there are more people then booked, grab your phone and send them a request for extra people fee. When they accept you let them in.

Of course, this is not the best start and you could get a bad review. Another solution would be as @Helen3  said - to call Airbnb to cancel. Of course, your chances to rebook the same day are slim but at least they will not stay for free.

@Branka-and-Silvia0  If the guest booking is canceled at checkin, the guest is still given a chance to review.

Therefore, there is no good solution to it if Airbnb does not change its review policy.

My suggestion is that let them in if they have only 2-3 days stay or less and agreed to pay extra cost. If it is a longer-term stay such as more than a week, just ask Airbnb to cancel. Otherwise, they could cause other troubles.

Thank you for commenting. I guess I just have to consider that Airbnb will not help hosts. Now I have seen countless complaints by hosts about this issue. So, Airbnb lost their whole 20% fee from  about $300? Why would they do that?

When I went to resolution center it said to wait 72 hours to make a complaint. But I was REALLY surprised Airbnb's resolution manager gave them their original for the two guest reservation back! They made up lies and the manager believed them! First, they should deal with the illegal extra guests no matter WHAT the liars say. I could not believe this.

So, now, Airbnb is ignoring me when I ask what the documentation was that made them give all the money back to thieves. I have sent countless emails to this manager and he sends back a form letter that ignores the issue.