Baby crib or cot

Jeananne0
Level 1
Queensland, Australia

Baby crib or cot

If I'm accepting children from 0 to 12. Is it my responsibility to supply s baby cot etc.
20 Replies 20
Nancy67
Level 10
Charleston, SC

If you are getting a lot of guests who fly in, then its unlikely they will be carrying a portable crib. I guess if it's going to garner you more bookings to have that amenity avaialble, and if your location compitition does not, then it may be worth the investment of a portable unit to have on hand along with 2 fitted sheets? I suspect they will be carrying their own blankets for this child, so that probably isnt necesaary.

A portable will fold up and can be stowed neatly when not in use, so if they bring one, then great, if not you can list it as an additional amenity, however, I would stipulate it is a portable only (if that's what you choose to purchase) and perhaps take a photo of it popped up to have on hand should they ask? Portables typically are considered appropriate for children under 2 years. Make sure you purchase one after research to make sure it lists no manufactures defects or recalls for saftey.

Thank you for your quick answer. No one around are accepting children at all. I have a solid cot lined up. And our house is large enough that it can be just tucked away in the corner.
Sophia7
Level 3
San Francisco, CA

I keep a pack and play as well as a rollaway bed in the closet. They are pretty inexpensive and guests are very greatful when it is supplied. 

Hi there. What is a pack and play

A pack'n'play is the American term for Port-a-cot. An easily portable cot or crib for travel.

Hi I find it quite untoward for guests to make a reservation first than ask for a baby cot later.  I mean they could ask beforehand, to make sure apartment is suitable for their needs, and then effect booking later.   Also, I am quite concerned, if I go ahead and buy a baby cot to accommodate the guests' needs, what happends if the baby gets hurt by falling or in other ways in this cot ?  Would I be liable ? 

My listing says the flat is unsuitable for children under 12 and that it sleeps six.

someone has booked for six adults, then showed up with 6 adults, a child under 2 and a tiny baby.

what would you do? Should I ask then to leave?  

@Heather289  You can contact Airbnb - Twitter is my preferred method it gets faster results.  You do state that your listing is  unsuitable for children under 12 so they have broken your rules .  Note Airbnb has a policy of not charging for children (under two I think or maybe it's younger)  so you wouldn't be able to add a fee.  And not sure Airbnb count young chidren as 'people' so your max. guests would have no bearing.

Is your home safe for children?  That would be my biggest concern, my home is not so I would definitely get them out one way or another. It's also underhand of them not to mention this to you before they arrived - that would make me wary of them.

Sarah-Jane5
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi I’m quite new to hosting and my query is this. I have a booking coming in and after accepting the booking the guests then asked if I had a pack and play. I don’t but I’ve now managed to source one that they can use. Can I charge a fee for providing it even though this is not mentioned in my listing and how liable would I be if the baby comes to any harm whilst using it? Does anyone have a disclaimer they’ve used before in this kind of situation?

I’m look for answers for the same question 

Hi Sarah, I recommend you buy a used crib will cost you 30-50$, you can get a portable one, which will encourage many to book with you, I was in the same situation, a guest booked with me and didn't have the crib, he asks me if I can get one for him, and figure out that I will need it for the next guests so its useful at the end.

regards 

Sebastiaan7
Level 1
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi, having had two kids, I always feel that a baby cot is essential. It just shows welcoming and that you care about the guests. Those cots are not that expensive. When it comes to toddlers I always feel that it's our responsibility to take a bed with us.  That said, there are some very cheap toddler beds available, the Regallo provides a great option and is less than $30.-, you can't go wrong really. Please see a description of the bed here - http://toddlersandtravel.com/the-best-toddler-travel-bed/

Thank you for the recommendation.  

Brandon398
Level 2
West Palm Beach, FL

I was on the fence about getting a crib, but then I just had a guest ask for a crib so I am going to get a portable one. She was going to rent one and have it delivered but I don't want my guest to have to go through all that. Thanks for answering the questions team!