Bad experience with guest who dont comply to local law

Trang88
Level 2
Hanoi, Vietnam

Bad experience with guest who dont comply to local law

Dear everyone,

After 3 times superhost and 2 years co hosting, this is the first time i have such bad experience with guest. I guess everyone will eventually met the bad guest at least once in their host life. I just want to share my story to gain more knowledge in this business as well as hoping that airbnb team can improve their service - they should understand the host situation better than their policy.

I had a guest who booked my place the night before check in - right during the crisis of ncovid in my city. I was so worried but then i asked her a few questions to make sure that she had arrived in the town more than 2 weeks. Otherwise, quarantine must be a must for her ( Vietnam is very strict abt this, the quarantine order is mandatory and sorry - no human right here).

After the first night i have asked her to fill the medical report which is mandatory too. She then changed the subject by saying she is busy cleaning and complain how dirty my aparment was. In the conversation she using lots of harsh words, words in " " with a looking down tone. I offered to send the cleaner to the place but she said she could  do it herself. ANd then she kept sending me pictures (behind the fridges where a few screws lying, nothing else), complained that it is totally not Ok and asked me for compensation even i offered to do the cleaning again. I feel lịke she was blackmailing me and i felt so unsafe and uncomfortable hosting her. LAter next day she said sorry for coming to harsh at me. I thought finally we can reach a comfortable state and i can keep hosting her again.

But the one incident happened. I got a phone call from our local police who was in charge of my business that he saw my registration for her and want to talk to her relating her health check. The reason for this is our city gov order all the foreign tourists who arrived in VN less than 14 days at that time has to check the ncovid. In VN you can get the ncovid test easily than other countries because our gov impose strictly measures to track down all potential infected people. So i sent him the copy of her passport proving she arrived earlier. But he want to be surre of the situation so he said they will come to check her health at the place with medical staffs ( since policer cant speak good English so he rather chose to come there with his colleges to do his job rather than calling to her foreign number). As a host and a comply citizen, i have informed her of such visit. ANd she reacted, making a big fuss abt what i informed and asking for proves. I told her i received via Phone. At first she agreed and then told me she got a medical certification but rather show it to the police herself than me. I ignored her attitude and confirm to the policer their team can come and meet her at my place for test. I suggested she should stay there so they can come to check, which is safer than going out to the hospital to get checked because you might spread the virus while travelling ( she later wrote in the review that i deny her request to go to check herselff - very twisted words). But then right after that she changed her mind and make another big fuss, tellling me she had called airbnb and embassy and VN police (which i find it hard to believe since they cant speak english) and they said that VN gov will never do such a thing. I then gave her the police number so she can verify the info herself. But she DIDNT call. She just keep suspecting me of having motives to scare her ( i dont know why i have to scare her for? For fun?? Halloween is 7 months away).  I feel sympathy for her and since she told me she got the medical certification i called the policer to persuade him to pass her case. FInally he agreed ( because of our good relationship and he trusted us). But then when i informed that there is no visit she then changed her mind and send me the medical paper. And u know what, it just the medical check at  a private clinic, saying she had sore throat. and that clinic didnt even have the capacity to test ncovid . THe thing is is she well by the time of speaking is still unknown to me. Im so worried that what if she had the virus? and that i jus help her to avoid the medical check? Later in the review she accused me of having motives- that i want to scare her knowing that she had no place to stay (which is untrue because my AIrbnb host friends are looking for guests those days too). 

And the best part of her is that she wảited 14 days, the very last minute of wrriting review to post her review so that i have no chance to review her. 

The review was full of personal opinion with false thing about me. I was so shock that i have reached airbnb customer service for h elp but they said they couldnt do anything sine her words are not violating their policy, even i have asked to provide proves that what she said was totally bias and falsse.

i felt so dissappointed with airbnb service and understood that they willl never understand any host's complaint , and thus never take side with the hosts. So dear future host, i guess we r on our own. Take good care of your property, building good security system, making good relationship with local police because in the end, you will have to protect yourself when strangers stay at your place.

2 Replies 2
Ocean50
Level 6
Revesby, Australia

@Trang88 

The definition of a review is the guest personal experience staying at your place, so off course it is full of personal opinion about you. I read the review and your respond, I have to say she has a point when saying you are a bit unfriendly and hostile. And to make thing worse, you write a very lengthy respond lecturing her about how things work in Vietnam, confirming her "hostile" view with your respond.

Next time just keep it professional and short "I am horrify that you feel I was hostile toward you. I have been a super host for more than 2 years and not once I have done that to my guest. As a business owner and law abiding citizen I have to inform you about our government law, unfortunately something is misunderstanding during our communication. But I am definitely have no intent to make you feel un-welcome."

If I am you I would ask Airbnb to remove your respond. Involve in "cat's fight" in your own review section is always a bad look for the host.

PS: người ta nói mình dữ thì mình phải cho người ta thấy là mình dịu dàng chứ, sao còn lại nói quá xá để mọi người thấy là mình đúng là dữ thiệt. 

Trang88
Level 2
Hanoi, Vietnam

ye i admitted writing the response in a "not very good mood", as i was shocked by the review. Im feeling much better now, kind of 

forget the whole thing already after the post until

u replied 🙂 and your suggested response is great, i should have done It 🙂 its just sometimes "tức nước vỡ bờ" 😉 thanks alot, i learnt alot from your comment !