Bad review because the guest thought the pool wasn;t heated enough

Answered!
Barbara2155
Level 2
Plantation, FL

Bad review because the guest thought the pool wasn;t heated enough

I have never felt so bad about a bad review for an unjustified cause. I have had experiences, where guests complain, and one may or may not understand their point of view, but it is fair. The worst review I had ever received was a 3-star one. Which is ok.
But today I received an overall review of 1 star, just because the customer did not like the temperature of the pool. Which, the cost, the specifications, and all the information are pre-written in the house rules.
Why do we have to accept such an unfair review? Where it is not appreciated that the place was impeccably clean, and so everything receives a star for cleanliness?

Sorry, I just feel bad for this. Especially when we are trying super hard to do our best as host

1 Best Answer

@Barbara2155  People who start out complaining about things, unless it's actually an issue you need to address, like the fridge or the hot water tank isn't working, you can't give a good experience to, and throwing a discount at them doesn't change that. They are determined not to have a good time and will find myriad things to complain about. 

Nor can you ward off  a bad review by bending over backwards for these types. They almost always leave bad reviews. 

So save your going out of your way for guests for the nice, appreciative guests, not the complainers. With those, just be polite but firm. "That is clearly mentioned in our listing information. It's unfortunate that it doesn't seem like you read the available info before you booked."

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Barbara2155  You may be able to get that review removed on the basis of irrelevancy. The traffic complaint is irrelevant, as are complaints about things that were clearly mentioned in your listing info, which he apparently didn't bother to read before booking.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Barbara2155 I agree with @Sarah977 that the review can be removed. You'll need to be persistent and use the chat to communicate so you can link the review policy and highlight the relevant sections, as Airbnb CS reps often aren't familiar with basic policy.

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/2673/airbnbs-review-policy

Your response to this review is unfortunate. "We agreed to give her a discount, just in good faith, and start on good terms with her family for Christmas week. Also, we heated the pool a little more and gave her more hours of operations for the same reduced price from the beginning."  You've now advertised to future guests that it's ok for them to disregard the listing details and rules, make unjustified complaints, and you will reward them for it. The discount etc. in this situation was unwarranted and not a wise move to make.

Yeah.. maybe wasn't the smartest thing to do... but definitely I felt so bad, was so unfair. We really try to all our guests have a good experience, especially for Christmas. Thank you for noticing that and let me know!

@Barbara2155  People who start out complaining about things, unless it's actually an issue you need to address, like the fridge or the hot water tank isn't working, you can't give a good experience to, and throwing a discount at them doesn't change that. They are determined not to have a good time and will find myriad things to complain about. 

Nor can you ward off  a bad review by bending over backwards for these types. They almost always leave bad reviews. 

So save your going out of your way for guests for the nice, appreciative guests, not the complainers. With those, just be polite but firm. "That is clearly mentioned in our listing information. It's unfortunate that it doesn't seem like you read the available info before you booked."

thank you again. Every day we learn about the things we need to do as hosts. I still waiting for any response from Airbnb. They usually sent nice words, like, I'm sorry. But I'm going to continue requesting the delete of this review.

Do you know if other platforms have better or understanding "customer service" for hosts?