Bank charges Standard Bank South Africa

Kayleigh28
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

Bank charges Standard Bank South Africa

Hi there.

I had some pretty surprising bank charges from my bank labelled as 'International charges' and I enquired and they told me that AirBNB is considered international therefore I get charged every time I use my bank card to pay for my AIRBNB. Surely this is nonsense. If I buy stuff online I usually don't get charged, so why is it like this? Not sure if this is a SB or AirBNB issue, but I am not keen to carry on using Air BNB if I am going to get charged extra each time. 

2 Replies 2
Aadesh0
Level 1
Johannesburg, South Africa

I also experience the same issues multiple times, they even changed me on Uber sometimes.

Aiden40
Level 1
Bloomington, IN

Same here. I phoned airbnb, they said they are not sure about the bank charges, and they advise me to check with the bank.

So I phoned standard bank and their explanation seems ridiculous to me. Says that if the company is registered overseas, meaning if it’s not an SA registered company, you will get charged an international transaction fee every time you made a payment. In this case, airbnb is an oversea company, so standard bank charges us…