Barbecue completely burnt - Airbnb does not want to reimburse

Mathieu284
Level 1
Montreal, Canada

Barbecue completely burnt - Airbnb does not want to reimburse

I received some guests to my cabin, they left 18 days ago and I came in yesterday to clean the place, as I was on vacation outside of the country, I could not come before. No other guest came in after.  

I discovered my barbecue completely burnt out. It had visibly been left in flames for quite some time.  The barbecue is a 600$ equipment I had purchased last year.  

I created a case with airbnb. The guest refused to pay. He recognized the barbecue caught fire and he was not around after turning it on. However he argues that it must have been dirty to catch fire and this is not his fault.  

Airbnb rejected the case as they said that it has been more that 14 days the event happened.  A simple email, nobody to call back and argue.  

I am stuck in this situation. What can I do? Anyone has succeeded to get a reimbursement done with Airbnb air cover?

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

if you are not around to clean for a long period you should arrange for someone else to clean @Mathieu284 

and you can't expect to claim if you are outside the claim period for any type of insurance. on what grounds do you feel you could appeal

all I can suggest is that you claim on your own home insurance for STRs

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Mathieu284  Unfortunately for you, this has to be an expensive lesson learned experience. It is very important to either have a friend, family member or co-host to watch your rental if you are not available. I think count your blessings that your entire cabin didn’t burn down.

I agree with @Helen3 to go through your home owner’s insuance. However, if it’s like mine, it’s a $500 deductible. 

Cătălin1
Level 2
Buftea, Romania

I think, the best thing to do is to buy a new one and be more careful next time. Try with your home insurance, hope it will work.