Bartering services for accommodations

Answered!

Bartering services for accommodations

Can you barter services for accommodations?

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rod1751  A host can't charge 0. Airbnb doesn't allow that. All a host can do is offer a discount. But guests asking for discounts and freebies is really annoying to hosts and most hosts consider those requests to be red flags and the harbinger of a difficult and entitled guest.

What kind of services are you talking about?

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rod1751  A host can't charge 0. Airbnb doesn't allow that. All a host can do is offer a discount. But guests asking for discounts and freebies is really annoying to hosts and most hosts consider those requests to be red flags and the harbinger of a difficult and entitled guest.

What kind of services are you talking about?

Oh, like repairing something at the house like a broken toilet or something like that. 

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Rod1751 ,

Airbnb do not use or allow bartering in any form and any Airbnb host who tries to negotiate a deal outside the platform including bartering will have their listing removed and their Airbnb account closed!

Besides, if you go ahead with this you lose all the protections offered by Airbnb including guaranteed payment, security deposit coverage etc. 

Please do not go a head.

Read the question without reading into it!

Hi @Rod1751 

“ ........something at the house like a broken toilet or something like that.”      ? 
0045454F-90D9-4E98-A974-06C91EC3C585.jpeg

C11A549C-F5BB-4F77-BA65-C2E225DD5FC9.jpeg

0F5DFE39-8760-43AB-8958-89DE7D132260.jpeg

1AF6D903-A5DE-46F4-A7FE-669BB884723B.jpeg

@Rod1751      

“ Wow, you look terrible!”

How about I just fix the seat?

Wait? Is that a two holer? Nuh uh! Deals off!

HI @Rod1751,

Perhaps,  deal off from Toxic people?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What sort of host would think about offering a property that has a broken toilet @Rod1751 ?

If a host has something that they need fixing they would employ a local qualified supplier that they know to fx the issue - before they let their listing agent  - not some random stranger on the internet. 

**[Inappropriate comment removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

@Rod1751  There was nothing rude about Helen's reply.

What is rude is for people to think that it's okay to expect Airbnb hosts to be open to bartering, or majorly discounting, when you wouldn't try to barter for a hotel room, for your groceries, at a clothing store, at the gas pump. 

It's fine to barter services among friends, neighbors, and so on, I've done lots of that myself, but hosts aren't hosting just for the fun of it- it's a business like any other business. One that many hosts rely on to feed their families, and pay the mortgage. 

**[Inappropriate comment removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

If I only I could grow that much hair.

@Rod1751 

Yes, you may!

This has gone far enough, this needs to stop.

Thank you.