Based in UK and started to have US tax withheld

Amanda1552
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Based in UK and started to have US tax withheld

UK based host.
payments  this year have deductions for US tax.
No emails etc. about it.

Anyone else had this?

48 Replies 48
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Amanda1552 there have been a few reports of people in Guernsey and Dubai also being dinged for US tax. Assuming neither you or your husband are US citizens and you haven't lived recently in the US and you don't own property in the US then I can't see why you should have US tax withheld. I am afraid you will have to contact Customer Services and hope you find someone to help you!

Yep and would never so lovely if they replied!! Chased and called and nothing.  Really poorly service. Escalated and that’s about it. 
But spot on. Have no reasons whatsoever to have triggered this and if its not happening to others here, I can’t see why happening to me?  
I hope it gets sorted soon. Ax 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi there @Amanda1552, I was able to find a help article that perhaps might be useful. If you follow this >link<, and then view section 4 and 5 there should be more info that is possibly relevant to your situation. Alternatively, I would recommend that you contact the customer service team for further assistance. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Quincy 

Thanks for posting the link. I have had a look at the sections that you mentioned and it requires you to fill out a form. Perhaps I am being dim (I have always hated doing my accounts) but I can't make head nor tail of it. In one of the first sections, you have to tick a box to confirm which type of entity you are, but as far as I can see nothing there relates to a homeshare host who is paying tax on Airbnb income as a self-employed person.

I don't believe my payments have any US tax deducted, so it's probably not relevant to me anyway, but if they did, I would find this form extremely confusing to fill in. It also keeps referring to 'instructions' but there are no instructions attached.

Amanda1552
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Here’s what I think.

there is is nothing to trigger this:
I am English 

Live in England 

Have a listing in England

and have never had anything to do with us other than couple of short hols there!

it must surely be a glitch. But 5 days on and still not got a response!! No one else seems to have same issue. 30% nightly held since 1.1.22 

Amanda1552
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

That is;:

I am a non US host, not living in US with a non US listing. 

I am a British host, living in Britain with a British listing 

Why should they hold 30% daily to remit to USA?

And no one when you call can help 🙈

And I’m fairly certain my profile and listing (I only have 1!) makes that clear. 

@Huma0  Here's a link to the instructions. 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw8ben.pdf

Amanda1552
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thanks for this.  Seen it and don’t understand why me and not say you if you too have a UK property and you’re based in England and nothing to with US. 
It seems very random. 
How have I got a USA listing ?  As assume that’s the trigger 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Amanda1552 

I just saw this thread where a host in Mexico is having the same issue:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Community-Center/ct-p/community-center?pageNum=1&discussionType=...

I have no idea why I haven't had this problem. As far as I can see, there is only VAT, not US tax deducted from my recent payouts. That's not to say it won't happen. I'm sensing that we're all supposed to fill in this form now... but maybe Airbnb are just starting to roll it out.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Quincy  "Alternatively, I would recommend that you contact the customer service team for further assistance. "

The OP said she has received no response from customer service.

Amanda1552
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

So many times!  They ar e literally holding 30% daily since 1.1

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Amanda1552 from what I can see based on the link in @Quincy 's post you just need to complete form W-8BEN. 

Who knows why you have been flagged but this seems to be the quickest way to sort it out. 

Thanks Mike. Done already that’s  on file. 
But it doesn’t say how long anyone will take to look at it and frankly doesn’t apply as my listing isn’t a US one.  And you claim back any tax help via your US tax return. Which I don’t do as I’m nothing to do with the US 🙈.  
I’m keen to try and get them to understand their error but they haven’t even assigned the case yet. 
Was hoping this has happened to someone else so I can do what they did. 
I am so shocked at how slow they are to sort.