Basic amenities to expect in Latin America

Basic amenities to expect in Latin America

This is specific to traveling in Latin America as a guest, if any readers have some experience with this. I am currently in an Airbnb in Lima. I've been in several over the past year. In general the kitchen amenities at each have been sorely lacking. This current apartment was highly rated. I think most guests are short term visitors, and they don't care much about kitchen amenities. I am here for a month.

So on arrival, there was: no toilet paper, no paper towels (kitchen), no hand towels for wiping up (kitchen), no cleaning products (kitchen, just a simple counter top spray would do), no salt/pepper, sugar jar frozen into a useless rock. 

I do not expect to be replenished with these items for a full month. But for the beginning? I mean, no toilet paper? WTF. Before I rip into the host, trying to get some opinions. 

If you're a super host in Seattle (pick any bustling North American city) charging $395/ night, what you do is great for you but I don't think your market input will be comparable here. Looking for opinions  from anyone with experience traveling or hosting in Latin America or other poorer economies. Thank you.

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You should be able to expect whatever amenities are outlined /described in the listing . @Christopher64  Whichever country you are in.

I wonder if you are travelling on a budget and therefore booking places with only basic amenities . If it's happening regularly then maybe up your budget/check amenities with hosts before you book. 

I don't remember seeing if the amenities list "toilet paper." Isn't that rather obvious? If the kitchen is there to use, isn't it rather obvious that at least a starter roll of paper towel or dish cleaning liquid would be included?  These are not budget listings. Modern buildings in the most expensive part of Lima. Which is obviously cheaper than many more advanced economies.

I may be wrong in some situations, but I have always assumed a whole apartment listing will at least include the most basic essentials to function. You show up there should be TP. End of story. Not asking for the moon here. 

But I have encountered things like this a couple times now down here and I think there are other factors at play.

@Christopher64  It's a mistake to "expect" anything that isn't listed in the amenities, just because they were standard in other places. There is a box for hosts to check in the amenities section for essentials like toilet paper, soap, etc. If it's offered, you have every right to expect it, if it's not offered, you can't.

I certainly provide those things to my guests here in Mexico in my home share listing. I can't speak to how it is in the entire Latin American world, but there was a little rental behind me the guy used to list on Airbnb and he seemed to provide basically nothing. His guests were at my gate a couple times right after arriving, asking if they could borrow some toilet paper. (He got terrible reviews and didn't last long- now it's rented long term to a nice couple).

So you need to read the amenities list, not make assumptions, and ask a host if they provide enough basics to get you through the first few days, if that is important to you. 

Standards definitely vary throughout the world.

Point taken. I thought in a modern high rise in a bustling metropolis in the most expensive part of the city, toilet paper would be quite obvious. Why not just exclude chairs then? Who needs them? The place had a lot of high reviews, what did those guests do? It's just strange. 

I spoke with the owner and he has since delivered a number of these items. I think it was more a lazy oversight in this case than an economical squeeze.

On our arrival the other day, the concierge also had no idea of our arrival. I had checked and double checked with the host to confirm any instructions and that the concierge would be expecting us, but were still met with confusion and delays.

So I think this is just a host who does the bare minimum until called out. I was a host for about a year back in the US and I went above and beyond to make my place comfortable and equipped at all times. My guests loved it. I think South America just has different standards.

Anyway all good now.

@Christopher64  Yeah, I don't know what the deal is with toilet paper in Latin America, and it's changed in a lot of places since I started coming to Mexico back in my 20s, but it's like toilet paper was some major luxury item to be jealously guarded. Public bathrooms all over Mexico would have an attendant sitting outside the bathrooms, selling you 5 squares of toilet paper for a peso, as there was none provided in the bathrooms. 

Anyway, glad your host was amenable to providing you with some basics. Maybe you're right- he's not going to bother unless a guest asks.