Bathroom/Washroom photos different from the real washroom/bathroom

Kunal33
Level 2
Mumbai, India

Bathroom/Washroom photos different from the real washroom/bathroom

Has it ever happened to you that you book a place for a long term and shell out the equivalent of approx $2,500 (CAD)/ GBP 1600 / INR 1,50,000 and all you expect is that the place is same or accurate as described in the description, photos and the captions of those photos? Further, if the facility advertised as en-suite turns out to be separate on a different floor altogether while the en-suite has a common entrance and is sued by another guest (who is not from airbnb)

Is it a minor impact point for Air Cover? Because thats exactly what I was told that say if a washroom is completely different, smaller missing a bathtub and a cabinet then thats just minor. Live with it or cancel and get a refund of $38 CAD or else if the host allows we can give you more or if he has a better place then we can ask him to arrange it for you.

Not to mention the person on the other side of the line doesn't recognize the currency I paid in but makes it a point to say whatever that is (although airbnb officially supports it and have a website domain in that country) and says enjoy your stay as a guest in this country without realizing that I am not a guest in this country. While many may not agree, but I have to let it out, I felt discriminated against right there.

Not that I can do anything now but I would like to see if most people agree that this is normal then I will change my expectations from airbnb at the very least or look elsewhere for further stays as it will save me the hassle a lot.

20 Replies 20
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Kunal33 

Air Cover is a program for hosts, not for guests.

If you are not satisfied with your accommadation:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/3028/travel-issues-eligible-for-refunds

Did you read my post completely? I mentioned that I have gone through the "support" process without finding any actual support. And nowhere does it mention that Air Cover is only for hosts. Any references to that? Even the support didn't have the gal to say it isn't for "guests" or customers that make the hosts, hosts to begin with. My thread was not aimed at garnering support but rather to understand from "guests" as you call them, their experience with something similar - as to whether they were asked to just live with it or were they heard and their issues remedied. The way I see it "hosts" can put up paradise pics and throw hell at users and for all the company doesn't care.

@Emiel1 Airbnb recently launched Aircover for guests as well. It is supposed to pay out when places are not correct hence the changes to the penalties for hosts if they misdescribe their places.

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

As far as what I read I don't see any evidence you are being discriminated against. The rep did not lie to you that in such situation as a guest you have two choices -- either live with it or cancel. When you cancel, by default it is subject to the cancellation policy, which with your long term reservation would only refund you that small amount, because the cancellation is initiated from your end because you are not satisfied with the listing. You may have a chance of a full refund by claiming the listing does not meet description, which is the host's wrongdoing but you need to provide enough evidence to prove that. 

It is a common sense that the actual property would be slightly different than the photos due to many reasons, including but not limited to the actual photography, the room being used by many previous guests and any necessary modifications due to damage. Usually hosts hire professional photographers to take photos to make the listings more attractive -- it is one of the most cost-effective way to increase revenue so it's a no brainer to do so. If there's real big discrepancy that affects its function, you should see lots of reviews reflecting this. Otherwise it might be your own feelilng while most others don't think the same way as you do.

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

In terms of the arrangements, I'm not sure if I understand correctly but I think the "en-suite" you mentioned means private bathroom right? If that's the case then if you see the bathroom is shared then you definitely have a case against the host to claim full refund. Just take some photos to show the shared access and speak to Airbnb customer service they should help you with it. 

In terms of the "washroom", I wouldn't think all washrooms have bath tub of course. Many restrooms in US are equipped with shower. Usually you can tell this by looking at the photos. 

Glad you revisited my post as your previous comment (first comment) does not make sense, sorry. Whoever mentioned lights, professional photography etc. It is simple - the en-suite does not match the description. Well, actually, the en-suite is not accessible to me but provided to another offline guest via the other door which is a common door.

Oxford defines en-suite as follows: (Of all people I would expect hosts to know this but I can see why this is the state for guests like me when hosts use phrases loosely with seemingly no understanding of what it actually means in the language that they type the description in)

(of a bathroom) immediately adjoining a bedroom and forming part of the same set of rooms.
"all rooms have en-suite facilities"

(of a bedroom) having an adjoining bathroom that forms part of the same set of rooms.
"there are twenty-five luxurious en suite bedrooms"

The origin of the word is French so I can understand that there is too much confusion amongst those in North America as to how people here and the support person got entangled on the terms rather than on the simple fact that - Photo is a of a different facility while I have a different facility with missing fixtures like bathtub and cabinet, not to mention a smaller space - none of it en-suite but on a different floor. Yes, I have solid evidence if images and videos can constitute that but if not then the host acknowledges it as well on airbnb chat albeit goes back and says will look at the photos over weekend (conveniently near about after 72 hours) as he is too busy. Support says live with it like I mentioned in the original post.

I honestly don't care if washrooms have this or bathrooms are not supposed to have that. All I care is if you put up an image with you visible as clicking the photo of a certain facility, have the gal to caption it as a certain thing (spacious en-suite, in this case) then provide it (because I paid for that, it was the premise of my booking) else your photos don't mean anything nor does the caption but am getting a feel that this forum is also for hosts only like the platform. Not a problem, it actually answers my original question and helps me decide the reliability of the platform in general.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kunal33 I would call Airbnb again and say that you would like them to relocate you to a property that better matches the description you signed up for.

That's exactly what I asked for, politely but I was told they can't do that as this is a minor issue. The lady was bent on pushing down my issue as a cosmetic difference and I still can't get over the fact to the racial references she alluded to using phrases like how I am a guest/visitor to the country and how she can't recognize or pronounce Indian Rupee - all of which shouldn't have been the focus of the conversation until I shut her mouth saying am not a tourist but a permanent resident now.  Anyway, I see you're from England and I have stayed there for years. Unfortunately, either the standards of service are not same here in North America or maybe it is subtle way of saying that they don't care about certain people or maybe it just the platform, hence my original post.

I feel you. I am in very similar boat right now. These guyz just have some bots sitting in help center and no one provides a resolution. I am chasing my issue as well and if it isn’t resolved then i am saying good bye airbnb after this one. My complain has been routed to atleast 10 different support rep over call/message in last 10 hour. Each time i have to explain my issue again around incorrect/deceiving listing with no luck. They promised a refund and then backtracked on commitment. When i ask for escalation, they say we are the highest authority. People rightlt said - they put you in circled till you give up (well i am not going to). Sighs.

@Kunal33 discrimination on any basis has seriously strict policies with Airbnb . If you feel that is the case then return to the conversation with the Reps . we are only hosts and cannot advise you on such a serious matter . We all sign up to an anti discrimination platform .so good luck . Possibly @ Quincy could assist you. H

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kunal33 

On the listing landing page, what does it say about bathrooms? Does it say private or shared?

Here is one of my listings. Underneath the photos, you will see it says 3.5 shared bathrooms.

Screenshot 2022-08-06 at 13.15.41.png

I agree with you that the host should not list a bathroom as 'ensuite' if it is on another floor, nor post a photo of a different bathroom to the one on offer. However, the more important point is whether the bathroom was listed as private or shared.

If it was listed as private and it is not, then that is not a minor issue or discrepancy and you need to go back to Airbnb CS and tell them that a private bathroom is a major amenity and listing one that does not exist is seriously misleading. It's switch and bait. However, if the listing specified shared bathrooms, then you are left arguing with CS the meaning of en suite and whether that is important enough or not...

CS is a shambles. There are some experienced, helpful reps, but there are also a lot of poorly trained ones whose directions are to close issues and be done with that guest/host asap. You may need to be very persistent. Hopefully, you will get a less stupid rep on the line. I mean, who cares if you are a visitor in the country or a resident. That is completely beside the point. An en suite means the same thing in any country.

It says private. The very premise of me booking the room was that it has a private en-suite. The closed the case. I have no other feasible and practical option. Am staying with it.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kunal33 

I am sorry to hear that. I strongly agree with you that it's not okay to list a shared bathroom as private, let alone to post images of different bathroom entirely. 

If you have no further luck with CS, then at least leave an honest review to warn future guests.

@Huma0 

I was so frustrated with this entire experience that I switched off from looking into this entirely. Have already lost my amount as won't get a refund nor a better place now that time for booking ahead is gone. So yes I was contend thinking I can leave an honest review but all you need is just one google search to verify the common but dreading thought - "Can airbnb delete reviews?" - You will be surprised how media has this covered. Now all I need is one journalist friend yet that won't be enough. Best is to not use this product again. I will try that. Boycott would work better.