Bathroom/Washroom photos different from the real washroom/bathroom

Kunal33
Level 2
Mumbai, India

Bathroom/Washroom photos different from the real washroom/bathroom

Has it ever happened to you that you book a place for a long term and shell out the equivalent of approx $2,500 (CAD)/ GBP 1600 / INR 1,50,000 and all you expect is that the place is same or accurate as described in the description, photos and the captions of those photos? Further, if the facility advertised as en-suite turns out to be separate on a different floor altogether while the en-suite has a common entrance and is sued by another guest (who is not from airbnb)

Is it a minor impact point for Air Cover? Because thats exactly what I was told that say if a washroom is completely different, smaller missing a bathtub and a cabinet then thats just minor. Live with it or cancel and get a refund of $38 CAD or else if the host allows we can give you more or if he has a better place then we can ask him to arrange it for you.

Not to mention the person on the other side of the line doesn't recognize the currency I paid in but makes it a point to say whatever that is (although airbnb officially supports it and have a website domain in that country) and says enjoy your stay as a guest in this country without realizing that I am not a guest in this country. While many may not agree, but I have to let it out, I felt discriminated against right there.

Not that I can do anything now but I would like to see if most people agree that this is normal then I will change my expectations from airbnb at the very least or look elsewhere for further stays as it will save me the hassle a lot.

20 Replies 20
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kunal33 

Yes, it is possible for Airbnb to remove reviews (or responses to reviews), but actually not as common as you think. They are usually very reluctant to do so and that is why the review and content policies are quite strict about it, e.g. specify that they do not mediate regarding the accuracy of reviews.

To prevent your review being removed, acquaint yourself with the policies:

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/2673/airbnbs-review-policy

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/546/airbnbs-content-policy

It is better not to mention your resolution/refund request or that you felt CS discriminated against you, as they could well remove your review due to this. Instead, I would write something along the lines of:

"This listing is completely misleading. The bathroom was described as en-suite and private, which was the main reason I booked the room. However, it turned out not only to be on another floor, but shared with another person, and a completely different bathroom than the one advertised and shown on the listing, i.e. it was smaller and there was no bathtub. The host refused to take any responsibility for this deception. It has totally put me off using Airbnb again. Beware of this host and avoid this listing!"

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Kunal33  I do not at all agree it’s a “minor” issue.  And I do agree that what the host said to you was discriminatory.  I agree with @Mike-And-Jane0 and @Huma0 that you need to keep trying until you get a CS agent with better training or more experience.  I know that Airbnb doesn’t want these bad actors in their host community and will continue to monitor them if @Catherine-Powell has anything to do with it.

Hi @Ann72 , thank you but as you can read from the post below by @Catherine-Powell  - you see how it goes - "there is a misunderstanding".

I love the way the problem is mellowed down. Just like the support member did. She said "Oh! not having a bathtub, cabinet, smaller mirror, smaller bathroom are all cosmetic". Keep doing that and the reviews for your product will also reflect a cosmetic change in the number of stars you get as a business. I guarantee that. I was so frustrated that I wouldn't want to open the app or this website anymore. Unfortunately, had to make another payment to this greedy host else I won't have a place to stay. for the next month as my reservation was a long stay and the payment was setup in phases. As a newcomer to a country I don't have the time to keep looking up airbnb which is why I had identified and booked a place basis the reviews. I believe airbnb also deletes genuine reviews. There is way too much in the media, just google and you i will know. No wonder postings like these come up in searching for a place here. I won't be surprised if post is also deleted.

Hi @Kunal33,

Thank you for messaging me. I’m sorry you’ve had a disappointing experience with your stay. After checking with my team, there seems to be a misunderstanding between you and the Host and I have asked my team to reach out to you to clarify. If you need additional support or help rebooking please feel free to contact us as well.

Many thanks,
Catherine

@Catherine-Powell- I have the screenshots from the posting. And a video of the place. Its called evidence. I am done using this biased product and racist support. Thank you. Just need to get done with my time here in this booking because I paid through my nose for it. Not coming back to this platform, not in the near future, hopefully don't have to ever in the future. I can pay for a place that turns out to be what was advertised. I will put up my review for that listing. It will be relevant and yet if it gets deleted, I will raise this to some of the journalist I know so it has proper media attention. I know, another article (there are many already - because it seems a common practice) out there won't hurt but am sure people will learn and remember.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Kunal33 ,

I’m sorry you’ve run into some issues with your latest stay. I've just send you a Private Message here with a bit more details on the update I got from our team - you can take a look by clicking on your profile picture in the top right corner of the page and navigating to your inbox. 

Thanks, 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines