Bed Bugs issue

Roksana5
Level 2
United States

Bed Bugs issue

Hey guys!

Just wanted to get some advise.

I got bitten very bad by bed bugs since i arrived to Miami and I've spent couple nights in airbnb. I noticed red spots after first night but didn't figure out what that could be. Eventually after couple nights, I lifted the mattress and noticed one or two insects. I told the host after two nights that something is biting me. They either didn't know or where hiding something, cause the room was full of airfresheners. They immediately took away the bed out of the room. I washed all my clothes and checked everything. I didn't see any marks of bugs on the walls or furnitures. 

I called airbnb. I've sent all my evidence, requesting a refund and compensation. I got over 200 bites on my skin, which stopped me of doing by modeling job. They contacted me via app 2 days ago. The lady from the support called me at sunday night. What she promised is the refund for the medicines and dry cleaning. She didn't promised me the refund. I explained my concern about my future airbnb stay and asked if they can send somebody professional to check it. She said, that not really- of course they don't wanna pay for that. 

They notified my current host about the situation, because I wanted to be completely honest and know what to do in the situations like this. They got back to me yesterday - still trying to call late at night, and said that if me and my host decide to cancel the reservation, which is for 4 nights more from today, they reimburse me up to 150 $ for booking a hotel. Im in Miami, where there is no hotel for the price like this -maybe it would cover one or two nights max. I don't think it's a solution.It doesn't solve my problem. I need to stay in Miami for next couple weeks and airbnb is only option for me. It's very hard to find short term rentals anyway. I feel they try to run away of the problem instead of solving it. They don't want to take the responsibility and pay for the professional control. I don't even know, how much is it. 

I don't have any new bites and don't see any marks of bugs. I checked my luggage couple times and don't see anything wrong and keep it in wardrobe. But what if  I have to move out? 

I see there is a lot of issues like this. And I think it's really a big problem in airbnb community. 

I've seen people doing lawsuits against the hotels, where they got bitten by bed bugs. 

But what we can really expect from them? It really turns the traveling into the nightmare. It caused me a lot of stress and suffer, as I had really bad allergy reaction for the bites.

Appreciate any responses. 

6 Replies 6
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Roksana5 what is your desired outcome?

keto get a full refund at least but they don't want to do even this. I don't think the company take care of it properly. 

@Roksana5

While I am sympathetic about your situation, from what I understand there is very little Airbnb or the host can do for you. The best you can expect is a refund of nights not stayed (from the host) and 10% additional credit (from Airbnb) for a new booking. The host will have to cover the cost of cleaning and/or fumigation to rid the room/home of bed bugs and will not be able to host any new guests until the issue is resolved. The host will also probably need to buy a new bed. I'd assume that the host did not know and some other guest who stayed before you is the culprit.

But before you go anywhere, you'd have to make sure there is no risk of contaminating your new accomodation and you would have to inform your new host or hotel in advance.

Please refer to the following links of other posts for more information

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Bed-bug-infestation-in-Paris-AirBNB/td-p/751220

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Bed-bugs/m-p/209773

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Bed-bugs-Sydney-Australia/m-p/681745

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Bed-bugs/m-p/42154

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Guests-told-me-about-bed-bugs-at-their-previous-location/m-...

Jen278
Level 2
Hudson, WI

Hi - I know this is and old post, but curious what resolution you found?? I recently stayed at a home in Tempe AZ, and got home to find over 100 bed bug bites and even had to take a day off of work. I requested an inspection from both her and the hotels a stayed at. The hotels came back clean and she refused to do an inspection. And continued to have guests stay there. She’s a super host in this site, yet will do nothing.  I’m so frustrated and looking for advice. Thank you

Ji-Won1
Level 2
Paris, France

Hi @Jen278 @Roksana5

Can you give us an update for the outcome ? Did you get a refund? 

So I understand I’m super late to this convo, but it interests me to know the outcome.
 I’ve been doing some research on the pest control market in the area and I’ll be honest: that is nothing at all surprising to me having lived in Miami 20+ years. 
I am a pest management professional myself, veteran owned and run company, and Miami is not quite our strong area. Many friends have had similar issues with landlords and managers in Miami. Hope you’ve overcome the trauma, I’ve been there and it took a while!

Best regards.