Level 2
South Pasadena, FL

Bedbugs!!

Bedbugs ?

22 Replies 22
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Tricia3030 Not wishing to stereotype but why are you even considering litigation? What do you hope to achieve? Can you prove that the bedbugs didn't arrive with you? That is the sort of thing you would have to do in court. Also who would you sue? You can't sue Airbnb as you agreed not to when you booked with them - Not sure if this stops you suing the host as well.

Ah well - lets hope that Airbnb refund the remainder of your stay and everyone can move on.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Yeah @Tricia3030 What happened to the happy clappy, caring sharing, live-like-a-local community of hosts & travellers which was Airbnb?

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Tricia3030   You can sue your host in small claims court for the cost of whatever possessions you lost, depending on the host's evidence you could be all/partially/not successful in recouping these losses.  All you can look to Airbnb for is a refund of the cost of the stay and possibly a coupon for future use.  Of course, Airbnb is somewhat random, but I would be very surprised if they would set a precedent that they, the company, are responsible for guest possessions that are lost/destroyed in a unit.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tricia3030  I'm not sure why you thought you needed to throw your stuff away.  There are all kinds of ways of eliminating bedbugs and other human parasites, like scabies and lice, from items, from throwing clothes in a hot dryer, to just putting items in a plastic bag, tied up tight and leaving it sit for awhile. When the bugs have nothing to feed on for some time, they will expire. I can't imagine why you'd need to throw away art supplies, like paint brushes.

As far as litigation goes, I know that Americas are sue-happy, but honestly, I doubt the host has allowed bedbugs to proliferate in his rental simply because he didn't care, unless you booked the cheapest flop-house type listing you could find. If it were me, I'd be happy to get a refund of my stay and chalk it up to the fact that life's not always perfect and sometimes crummy things happen.

Arlene776
Level 2
Euless, TX

As hosts we are living the bedbug nightmare. As stated above bedbugs are hitchhikers so we don't know where they came from but suspect our guests brought them from a previous stop since we have never had this problem before.  We offered to refund any unused days but they refused to leave.  We gave them $200 to stay at a hotel for 24hrs while the exterminator came.  They continued to complain but would not leave early.

@Arlene776  Guests don't get to refuse to leave. It's your home. You are the boss of your home, not guests. If they won't leave you contact Airbnb, cut the reservation short and they get refunded the unstayed nights.

Angelica-Y-Jorge0
Level 10
Mazatlán, Mexico

@Tricia3030 Although too late for your current stay I suggest carrying a bottle of Lavender spray with you. I travel with one anytime I stay in a hotel or Airbnb. I spray the mattress and sheets before I sleep to be sure.

As hosts we make our own lavender spray that is lightly scented and spray the mattress after each stay. We then allow it to dry out and air out to ensure no guest of ours ever has or brings bedbugs.

Jorge
John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Tricia3030 

"There is no way that I brought bedbugs with me. I've lived in a condo that has mandatory pest control on regular basis and no history of pests. In any case, I did not arrive with luggage. Unfortunately, I left in an unsettling hurry and could only grab a trash bag and my laundry which I threw in my car and washed in a laundromat before bringing into the rental."

A laundry mat is a prime location to pick up bedbugs. A quick Google search on the top places to pick up bedbugs. 

https://thedailypest.vikingpest.com/top-5-places-you-can-pick-up-bed-bugs

The laundry mat is at the very top of the list.   

"The Laundromat

Wherever there are linens and clothing in a shared, public place, you are at risk of bringing home someone else’s bed bugs. People may unknowingly bring linens with bed bugs in to wash and dry, or they may visit the laundromat on purpose to use the highest temperature setting in an effort to kill off their bed bug infestation. Don’t share a folding table with someone else, and always use the hottest heat setting possible in the dryer of a public laundromat to minimize your risks of bringing bed bugs home with your folded laundry."

I've researched this. Bedbugs can live over 6 months without feeding. Even when you buy new clothes its a good idea to wash them right away, as they can survive from where ever they were manufatured and packaged, and be inside the plastic packing after being shipped overseas.