Bedspread/blanket for summer weather?

Dean-And-Stacey0
Level 4
Asheville, NC

Bedspread/blanket for summer weather?

I've seen this asked before, but haven't seen an answer to it.

We are switching our bedding over from winter duvets to a summer bedspread.

I'm trying to find the perfect balance between something that washes well, looks nice, and is economical.  I'd prefer it to be 100% cotton as well (but maybe that's asking too much?).  The ones that I've been looking at seem to not hold up after many washings.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

23 Replies 23

I hear you!  Trying to accomodate everyone's tastes is where it gets tricky.  I like this idea and am considering it.  Question... do you have A/C at your place?  We do and I think that's why I feel like we need more than just a top sheet for most people. 

@Dean-And-Stacey0  No, I don't have AC, just fans. I should hope that if people need more than a top sheet and a lightweight blanket in the summer, that they'd think to turn down the AC, rather than not have that be enough, but, as I've learned on these forums, guests do all manner of illogical things and wasteful things.

@Sarah977I absolutely agree with you!   The tricky thing with our rental is that it's a whole house with 3 bedrooms, that sleeps up to 7 people.   So inevitably we are going to get guests with a wide range of temperature preferences.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Dean-And-Stacey0, I have a thick down feather blanket for the winter months and a lighter feather blanket for the summer. I triple sheet my beds so I don't have to worry about removing/inserting into a duvet cover everyday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF3uxHFhlec

I've heard of that and really like the idea.  The video you showed the link to was really helpful. 

I think my main question with this way of doing things, is does it last for a few days?  Our Airbnb is off site and we have a lot of people that stay 3-5 days. 

@Dean-And-Stacey0 when you reply to an answer you need to tag the person you are replying to using @ then pick the name. It becomes green. Otherwise the person won't know you replied. When you tag they get a notification mail.

Just thought I would mention it 🙂 

@Sandra856Thank you!  I didn't realize that.

@Dean-And-Stacey0 , I honestly have never even thought about that. I learned this method in a luxury hotel where I used to work. I've never used anything else. I've had guests stay anywhere from one night to 45 nights (with bed changes about every 10 days.) I have never had a guest mention anything or complain. On occasion the bedding is clumped up in a ball on the bed when I arrive but most of the time it is intact. I think this depends on how people sleep. One thing to mention is that I always buy King flats so that I can actually tuck them into a queen bed. (Why queen sheets don't actually fit queen mattresses is one life's greatest mysteries.)

@Emilia42!

I have never heard of this but love the idea and am definitely going to try it!  Thanks for posting the YouTube video as well. Very helpful.