Beeing accused in a very, very bad way by a guest - any experiences?

Nikolaus14
Level 3
Salzburg, Austria

Beeing accused in a very, very bad way by a guest - any experiences?

Hello to every one.

I had a very bad experiance with a guest, what caused that my life turned up side down!

The issue is, that my guest who just checked in and asked me for help concerning giving some advise for attractions outisde the city. I told her that I have some city guides in the guestroom but nothing outside the city. So I offered her to come over to the living room and to check for some attractions at my laptop. At the living room I asked her if she wants to drink some water, she said no. So asked her waht else she drinks, she answered that the drinks usually wine, so I opened a new bottle of prosecco and poured in a glass. 

We sat down and started to talk while booting up my laptop. We took a sip of our drinks. After 10-15 minutes talking she stood up and left without saying anything. I thought that she went to her guest-bathroom. After 10 minutes I called her, but no reaction. I went to the guestroom and realized that she left the apartment without saying anything and without the key.

I texted her if she's fine and that I was surprised that she left without the key and without a word. 

She answered that she needed some fresh air and will come back to take her purse, because the rain stopped. 

5 minutes later two police officers came and told me that the guest didn't feel good, and that she was accusing me that I've put some K.O. drops or any toxine in her glass. I haven't done anything like that and would never do something like that. That's so insane und unbelievable what she was accusing me.

A CI (criminal investigation) came to take the evidence (liquid or actually prosecco and the glass).  At the same time the guest went with an ambulance and police officer to the hospital. The doctors and nurses couldn't see any symptoms. Even the guest said to them that she's fine. Because she had to pay for a blood test by herself she refused the blood test. Since the doctors and nurses couldn't see any symtoms they released her from the hospital. If she would really be intoxicated they would never let her go in a bad condition. 

Nex day the guest went to the police and accused me that I've intoxicated her.  - That's so insane and mad. 

She even lied, when she said that she felt so bad, with up and downs, but said at the same time to the doctors that she's fine again.  And they released her from the hospital bcauese there were no symptoms.

I've reported that right away to Airbnb. Two days later Airbnb has set my account under quarantaine and after another two days deactivated my account and cancelled all my future bookings! It's a loss of some thousands of Euros.

Now I have to wait for the chemical / toxicological report from the laboratory, that proves that there's nothing in the liquid. 

I’ve met this person for only one hour. I was very friendly and helpful to her like to any guests and all of a sudden this person is accusing me with very bad things, destroying without any reason my reputation, my income and with that my life!!!

That's so mad, because I'm on medical leave from an accident and have no or just a little income because of this accident. So my main income and existance is from Airbnb. 

Does anyone of you had such a bad experiance with guests and how did Airbnb react on that? Is Airbnb taking any reapartion in such cases?

I'm a superhost with more then 170 top ratings (average of 4,9) and great comments. Cause I'm from the hospitality business and was Hotel Manager for various 5* Hotel Operations and know how to provide great service to guests. 

Thank you very much for your feedback and advises.

17 Replies 17

Wow, that is quite a story. 

I guess you should wait for the chemical / toxicological report from the laboratory.

Then I would look for legal advice on a no win/no fee basis where you can take the guest to court for reputational damages and loss of income. 

Once you take legal advice and your lawyer takes up your case, Airbnb will only discuss the issue with your lawyers and not you...as I believe your case is then passed onto the Airbnb legal department. 

Of course this can all take time. 

I would also go the Police and discuss the situation with them, to see about a charge of wasting Police time or charge of false accusation. See what they can tell/advise you. 

Good luck to you

Thank you for your advise. I've talked today already with a lawyer from austria and he told me to wait until the laboratory report is done.

I got already in contact to a law firm from USA, so I'm pushing right now to get on mir rights and also planing everything for my reparationl.

What makes me very upset is that Airbnb doesn't care about it. They just deactivated my account, have sent me 3 standard emails and called me only once, just when I was on the way to the police station. 

I've called Airbnb for sure over 20 - 25 times, but the agents couldn't help me and told me to forward it to the repsonsible derpartment and person. I've also sent them all the reports from the police, form the guest and mine and much more documents on this issue. But no reaction or call back on this important issue from anyone - that makes me so upset. I was responsible for best guest and customer service and was always very much concerned in any complaints or issues, and I know what means taking care of such important issues which might effect the guests, the host and the own company. Apparently they don't have any idea of their job, when they don't realize what is an important issue. 

That makes me upset and mad.

Anyway, I'm taking action on this and will for sure succeed in my reparation for this mad issue.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Get a lawyer.

Already done and action taken... 

Legal Protection When You Need It

The LegalShield legal plan gives you great protection for your personal legal needs; however you may want the option to enhance your plan. Unexpected legal issues arise everyday and that's why we offer our Home Business Supplement.

Home Business Supplement
Whether you own a home business, are a consultant or need business legal advice you can add the Home Business Supplement to your personal legal plan. For only an additional $9.95/mo.

Enrollment on secured webite:  **

**[Personal advertisement removed - Community Center Guidelines]

Thank you for your advise, but it won't help me in this issue any more...

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

I am actually speechless for once. 

Me too. 

What makes me most disapointed and makes me so upset is that there's no reaction from Airbnb. 

They have such a bad customer service in such dificult or actually bad issues. Well it's their decision and they shouldn't complain then, when it effects Airbnb in a bad way... 

Jess78
Level 10
Eugene, OR

Nikolas I’m so sorry this has happened to you! You sound like a great host and this is so unfortunate. Airbnb will absolutely not stand up for you or go on your past record, they are just protecting themselves. They do what is in their business interest, which is put as much distance between themselves and any sticky situation that they can. You have suffered financial loss due to false accusations. You do what is within yours and follow through on a lawsuit with them. 

‘Also, I would encourage you and your lawyer to follow through and see what kind of background check was done on this woman. 

Opening our homes to complete strangers is a risk, I don’t care how many people are awesome and amazing and lovely. People have a confirmation bias thinking that nothing bad will happen to them because it hasn’t in the past. But here is an example of how one stranger can book and ruin your business and do quite a bit of damage. 

I sure sure hope those toxicologies come back quickly for you!

Are there any lessons so far you can take away that could help us? I’m sure you won’t be drinking with guests any more I guess. 

‘Hopefully all the hosts out there reading this can repeat these mantras:

1) airbnb is only booking agent and takes no responsibility for anything guests may do in your space. They will not return my calls or reach out with help. 

2) short term rentals to strangers, knowing only that they have a credit card and they can use a computer, is not a completely secure thing to do: you must be realistic that bad things can happen. Most of the time they won’t happen, but it’s not being negative to put yourself on defense.

3) just because all your guests have this far been not so bad and you take great pains to vet them in a way that you can with their reviews and picture does not mean the next one who walks door can’t be an absolute pox upon your existence like this woman is now to you. 

Also, I predict these types of situations to multiply in the Instant Book era, where no confidence/relationship is built between guest and host prior to a booking confirmation and too little security. A recipe for mistrustful situations and weird hotel-like expectations from clientele who don’t understand the original social contract here. 

Keep us all updated on how it’s progressing. Take care of yourself. 

Dear Jess thank you for your comment. 

I usually have a very good people knowledgeable and have had sofar a bad experience. If I don't feel comfortable or confident with a guest, then I usually know how to act with them.

Well, this experience teached me something different. But anyway, it caused big problems for me, and I'm also taking action on this issue. I'm researching on similar issues and law suits cause I'm not gonna take all this financial loss and damage on my reputation. 

And for sure, I'll be more careful when having a single guest without any third party or witness and won't offer any guest something to drink. This was really a bad lesson for me. 

But it schouldn't change all my thought's about other and foreign people, cause I was dealing with so many different people from all over the world (for sure more than 70 nationalities) through my entire worklife for about 26 years. For me it's very interessting meeting and talking to people from other countries with different characters and mentalities. 

I'm waiting now for the laboratory results and they'll prove that I'm innocent and the next steps are already planed. 

I'll keep you updated...

Nikolaus,

I am sure I speak for the whole Airbnb Community in saying that we wish you well...keep up your strength and spirits and please post in here if things get on top of you.

I wonder if this guest just merely panicked and had some sort of anxiety attack and convinced herself that her drink had been spiked when in fact it had not.  Maybe she suffered some kind of paranoia. 

Keep strong. Your character will shine through.  

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

i am speechless...

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Nikolaus ,

I  maybe make you even more upset, but you must consider the possibilty the lab. test shows there was something in the glass: She could have put in there herself ! Think of trying to make you a victim of blackmail. Sorry to mention this, but just be prepared for any weird possible scenario.

But offcourse i hope things will no go this way. 

Hi Emiel,

it don't wanna think about this. I know what I did and what I didn't - and I've never done something like that and I would never ever do something like that. 

If this would reall be the case, and I know some bad people are doing that, then this would be even more insane and this would be a real crime! 

So, I even don't want to have this scenario in my mind. 

But I know that always bad things will be solved somehow, just like the expression: "Lies have short legs"...