Being told my newest listing has "things to work on" -- and I've not had anyone to contact me.

Michelle1358
Level 4
North Carolina, United States

Being told my newest listing has "things to work on" -- and I've not had anyone to contact me.

How can I get dinged for bad communication on a listing I've JUST put up and had no communication on?  We are days away from reaching superhost with on the listing we've had up awhile...so I took the new one down when I got that message.  No one has messaged me about the new property...and I'm getting dinged for not communicating and not booking?  Anyone else run into this with a new listing messing up their "progress"?

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Michelle1358  This is an unfathomable thing on the platform that has been reported, but Airbnb never fixes. These are computer-generated messages and they often appear on new hosts' accounts, before the host has even had a booking. You can safely ignore those messages. There are many other messages you'll get that you can and should ignore, like using their price tips, getting worried because they tell you xx# of places got booked so you should lower your price. Their computer bot spews out a lot of useless garbage that intimidates hosts for no reason.

Michelle1358
Level 4

Thank you Sarah!  I began to ignore the lower-your-price messages.  I figure that since Superhost is surely determined based upon computer algorithms (and not real people looking at my reviews) that even though the "things to work on" on my new property doesn't make any sense, it would likely kick me out of superhost contention come July 1, when we're slated for review. (Other than these make-no-sense messages on the new listing, we're absolutely on track to make superhost.)

Should I bother trying to call someone at the airbnb help desk?

Does making superhost really help with your booking rates?

Thank you!!!!

@Michelle1358  Like I said, it's something glitchy on their website- that message seems to appear on all new listings, when of course there is nothing for you to "work on" as you haven't even had a booking yet. No, it won't affect your stats for Superhost, as far as I'm aware, and that message will actually disappear on its own. So I can't see that there would be any point in contacting Airbnb about it, since it's been reported to them before and they don't do anything about it. I guess there's no harm in reporting it again- it for sure confuses new hosts, and in your case, even those who already have other listings up.

I'd say just put your new listing back up and ignore that message.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Michelle1358   Are you refering to you listing with 14 reviews?  It is quite lovely!  You did not just put it up and you are in line for Super Host, so it might be a good idea to contact Air BNB to see what would have triggered  the automated message.  I agree with @Sarah977  that many automated messages are of little value, but just in case there is something of value to learn, why not find out?  Here is a guide for contacting Air BNB.   I would set up a Twitter account for contacting Air BNB so you are not caught on the phone unless it is an urgent matter.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Michelle1358
Level 4

Brilliant, Linda!  Thank you!  I will check out the link.  Yes that is our listing -- we've been hosts since Janurary 1.   The new, second listing that I got the weird ding on in "progress" (and since took down) is the same listing -- just the whole house.  (The listing that you saw is private and includes everything pictured but does not include the separate-entrance apartment we have when we're on property.)

I looked at your listing too....if it's half as lovely as the pictures it's still amazing!!