Below Star Reviews From Europeans

Wiliam0
Level 1
Stuart, FL

Below Star Reviews From Europeans

I had a German girl stay last week and after a few hours she asked if she could stay another two days, I agreed, all was well, her reviews were both positive but both were sub 5-star. And just this week a Dutch couple stayed, we had wine together, and I am pretty sure they left a 3-star review. 

This is not the first time this has happened, and it never happens with Americans. The annoying part is they give no feedback at all.

5 Replies 5
Inanna0
Level 5
United States

Hi William, it's a funny cultural thing. Europeans, in my experience, generally make some of the best guests. They know how to live together, share space in diverse environments, but they also have a different star rating criteria in their head.

Three stars is solid good. Four stars is great. It is hard, because that is not how Airbnb lays it out for us as hosts, but that is what they think. It's kind of like those teachers who never ever give A+'s.

Yep, that's it exactly. 

Thank you.

@Wiliam0   In France the creation of five stars hotels dates from only 2010. Before this date, the oficial classification for hotels was 1 2 3 4stars and Palace. Airbnb being an International company does not take into account cultural differences, whick makes the star rating system flawed. The yellow reminders that appear on our dashboard suggesting we  can do better if several 4 stars are awarded is unfair. Other nationalities are famous for giving 4 stars as perfection doesn't exist. Others note our homes as if we were hotels because of the association to stars. In the forums we discussed this subject often. Suggesting other symbols to replace stars or getting rid of stars completly.

Thank you so much. I am also about the lowest priced listing in my area.

Linda0
Level 10
Spring, TX

Hello William -
Reading your post and the comments have made me nervous. I have a new guest from last night who is from Sweden. He requested 2 nights and the today he asked if he can stay for 2 weeks. For sure I will not ask for a review. I noticed last night he had a very discerning expression on his face as he looked around the house, but he seems like a really nice guy. I did fish a little about how things where and he just said the WiFi is great.