Best option- Studio, 1 bedroom, or 2 bedroom?

Answered!

Best option- Studio, 1 bedroom, or 2 bedroom?

Hi all,

I live in North Raleigh, appx 20 mins from downtown and 10 mins from RDU airport.  I have a 1000 sq ft bonus room I'm in the planning process of converting into a Mother in Law suite to list on Airbnb.  The future bathroom area off of the bonus room is appx 200 sq ft and includes 2 full size skylights.  I have a 1/3 acre backyard including an 8 person hot tub covered by a gazebo and connected to a 1100 sq ft deck, paver firepit, axe throwing target, golf net, huge custom swingset, full size trampoline, hammock, and soon to be half court basketball court all surrounded by an 8' privacy fence and minimal neighbor concerns.  

I have a few decisions that I need to make prior to applying for permits and desperately need some of your experienced expertise 🙂 

1) How "high-end" to go with the bathroom?  Water closet?  Single or double vanity?  high end tile in the walk in shower or middle of the road tile?  

2) Interior space- i have the capacity to go with a large 1000' open air studio, a 1 bedroom unit, or (2) 12X12 bedrooms (which would leave appx 500' for the kitchenette, living, and dining areas).  Thoughts on studio/1 BR/2 BRs options?  

3) Appliances- I was planning on having a kitchen sink, microwave, induction cooktop, toaster oven, washer & dryer.  Thoughts on the appliances I'm considering?  Too many?  Not enough?  

4) Do I include all backyard amenities to all my guests or do I limit and/or charge additional fees for things like access to the hot tub?

Thank you in advance for your time and input.  I'm super stoked to get started but quite frustrated having stalled out in indecision.  Can anyone help a rookie out??  🙂  Hope to hear from the experts out there. Thanks again!  

-Jay

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jason1531 Search for 1 bed and 2 bed listings in your area. Look at the difference in price and quality. Whilst you will not be able to see how often they are booked you will be able to see what your standard needs to be to be competitive.

By the way an Axe throwing target sounds like a liability you just don't need!

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jason1531 Search for 1 bed and 2 bed listings in your area. Look at the difference in price and quality. Whilst you will not be able to see how often they are booked you will be able to see what your standard needs to be to be competitive.

By the way an Axe throwing target sounds like a liability you just don't need!

@Mike-And-Jane0 thank you for your input!  Much appreciated!!  You’re probably right about the axe throwing. Easy enough to just hide the hardware 🙂

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Jason1531   What is the real purpose behind your installation of a mother-in-law suite?  Are you improving the value of your home, or are you just looking to create a rental situation?  If improving the value of your home and using Air to offset the cost while the room is not needed by you and your family, then I would create a spacious mother in law suite with one bedroom and good-sized sitting area with kitchenette.  This should attract travelling singles and couples.  If you want 2 couples, or persons with children, a sleeper sofa would work.

Bathroom - I recommend a large single sink with a long counter to accommodate the guest unpacking onto the countertop during their stay.  The high end glazed tile in my oversized shower is 12x24 which means fewer grout lines and easier clean.  I installed a rain head and a separate handheld shower head for versatility.  If you are configuring the bathroom for multi-person use, the water closet is best -- my baths have the commode and tub/shower separated from the sink area by a door so one person may be showering while the other is applying makeup.  

Kitchen - I recommend upgrading the microwave to a convection microwave and not putting in a toaster oven -- just a regular 4 slice toaster.  I find most people do not properly use or clean a toaster oven; other hosts may feel differently.   If you are not installing a dishwasher, put in a deep kitchen sink and have enough counter space for the drying rack.  

I hope that your new space turns out beautifully!

@Lorna170 thank you so much for your time.  Your input is much appreciated!!  

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Jason1531 I agree with studying the competition to see what they're up to, but I would also think very carefully about the type of guest you would enjoy hosting and what type of people tend to visit your area and tailor the listing accordingly. If you want to attract more family and friend groups, go for the multiple bedroom option. If you're hoping for more couples getaways, the one bedroom makes more sense. A flexible option might be a one-bedroom with a pullout couch. Figuring out the type of group you want to host will also help you choose your finishes and other amenities. Also think about length of stay you would prefer. Your current kitchen setup suggests shorter stays, which probably won't require a washer-dryer. Washers also seem to cause issues with some hosts because they can be prone to overuse. I have one in my listing, and I don't find that it gets much use unless people are staying a while. 

I would generally avoid charging more for extras, because collecting becomes awkward and prone to abuse. If you're going to allow the axe throwing, I would have the guests sign a waiver. 

Good luck! It sounds like your place will be great!

@Alexandra316 thank you for your input!!  Very helpful information!  These replies are exactly what I need to get off and running 🙂 Have a great weekend! 

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Jason1531 

I would always install a dishwasher. Depending on the guests you target, you could even choose a smaller one.

In our villa's in the Caribbean we have large dishwashers. Our targets there are families or couples who like luxury

In an apartment in The Netherlands, we have a small one. There our target is a single traveller (visiting professor) or max a couple.

Quality of matrasses is very important. So is a good shower (rainshower?)

Keep the other appliances simple to operate and easy to clean.

@Bob297 thank you for your input sir. You and the others have convinced me to include a DW.  Everyone has been so awesome and helpful here.  Have a fantastic day!