Best way to disclose exterior security cameras?

Answered!
Jay495
Level 2
St Petersburg, FL

Best way to disclose exterior security cameras?

I am planning to add security cameras around the exterior of our home, including one outside entry door to our guest suite. Anyone have any advice on noting this in our listing such that it doesn't sounds too big brothery?

1 Best Answer
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Jay495 

Make sure you have clicked the box on your listing to indicate that you have a security camera. Then in the "Other things to Note" section and your house rules add something like "For the security of our guests and the safety of our home, we have external security cameras located XX."  I think it is that simple. Many will not be bothered by this and those that are likely will not book. The thing is that you want to let guests know at every possible chance that you have cameras. The last thing you want is a guest claiming they did not know about the cameras and it ending in a bad hosting experience.

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 4.04.09 PM.png

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Jay495 

Make sure you have clicked the box on your listing to indicate that you have a security camera. Then in the "Other things to Note" section and your house rules add something like "For the security of our guests and the safety of our home, we have external security cameras located XX."  I think it is that simple. Many will not be bothered by this and those that are likely will not book. The thing is that you want to let guests know at every possible chance that you have cameras. The last thing you want is a guest claiming they did not know about the cameras and it ending in a bad hosting experience.

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 4.04.09 PM.png

Thank you @Emilia42 ! Just the kind of advice I was looking for. 😃

How To Find Hidden Cameras Using Mobile Phone use a camera detection app: There are several apps available on both Android and iOS that claim to be able to detect hidden cameras using your phone's camera and flashlight. Some popular options include Hidden Camera Detector and Hidden Camera Detector - Anti Spy Cam https://thecyberexpress.com/how-to-find-hidden-cameras-using-mobile-phones/

Thank you!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jay495 Also please be aware that  guests who have booked before you add the cameras to your listing  may be upset to find cameras on the property. If they complain to Airbnb the listing at the time they booked will be checked and then you will be accused of not divulging the cameras.

other than messaging all existing bookings I don't know how you get around this.

My airb&b property has been frozen for 4 days. I got a complaint from one of my guests that damaged 1500 dollars worth of stuff and now almost most 2 months after there stay decided to complain about the outside security camera system.  I made sure to disclose that I had security cameras in house rules and where the cameras are before I even had my first guests at this property. I received a message from support saying that I needed to add the words "recording devices "to the description!!! They have not given me any information other than that I need to update my account to say on the things that guests should know to include "recording devices and locations of each camera" is it just me or is that being really net picky? Support informed me that when I make the necessary changes my account will be reinstated but it's been 3 days now and I have already lost a 1500 dollar rental because of my drunken college girl and guests unwillingness to take responsibility for their actions! It's almost like airb&b support can't put two and two together and see that this is an attempt get out of paying for damages. Like I said I had already disclosed that cameras are there and where they are before all this cra,craziness STARTED IM SO UPSET 😡!! I haven't heard anything from support in 3 days! Totally unacceptable! Airb&b tries to present the company as a caring place where justice and morals are upheld, but from my experience that can't be farther from the truth. Support chat won't even talk to me about anything at this point smh.. all I get is crickets while thousands of dollars are jumping away. My property and my hosting has a lot to offer a guest. I value customer service above the actual service most times and I give each guest full access to the cameras at the house for God's sake.  I set a computer monitor showing the live feed for the guests peace of mind and security!!! I'm being treated like a raving Psycho lunatic or a criminal peeping tom 🤬! If anyone knows how to help I will gladly reply the next host  and many after that if they my problem as well! I believe and karma and try to stay on the right side of that train track. 🙏someone help.

I'm having the same problem. College students got kicked out and now they want a refund because of my ring doorbell. Airbnb support is not helpful.

Barry346
Level 6
Auckland, New Zealand

I am in the same boat right now; a month ago I reported a guest for damaging our property; I sent the footage to AirBNB and they paid out in my favour as they agreed the guests were at fault.

Now 2 days ago I got an email saying that I may have cameras on the property so they suspended all 4 properties. Each and every property states it has cameras I the health and safety and the amenities as per AirBNB guidelines. I also include in the confirmation email of their booking that there are cameras and again 4 days before checkin with the check in instructions.

I believe this guest that I put the claim in for reported that I have cameras and someone just decided to click a button and suspend me before looking at our actual listing that shows we advise of the cameras.

Cant get hold of anyone at Airbnb that can help, they just say that the team dealing with it is not contactable via phone. 

We are a super host with 4 properties and over $80k of future bookings now at risk. We've also had annual returning guests contact us and say they cant book because our calendar is all greyed out.

We've essentially been put in jail as guilty until proven innocent. Screenshots all available at https://twitter.com/icepicknz/status/1421993843742834688

Did Airbnb un-suspend your listings? I'm facing a similar issue at 1 property.

Did the matter get resolved?

Airbnb cares about no-one, but there money.