Best way to word why you are declining someone?

Answered!

Best way to word why you are declining someone?

Hi fellow hosts, 

Can any of you help me find the right words for telling someone that the reason I am declining them is because of a previous bad review?

The bad review said they were noisy, parting until 3am and brought 3 more people than they put on the reservation. 

I went to check “decline: I feel uncomfortable with this reservation,” and then Airbnb wants me to tell the guest why. I don’t trust that they won’t party and bring more people to our place as they did before. 

My brain is struggling to come up with the right, polite words to explain why we’re uncomfortable with this reservation.

Seeking input.

Thanks!

1 Best Answer

Hi Guest! Thank you so much for your interest in our property. Unfortunately, after screening your past reviews, I do not feel comfortable hosting you at this time. I do apologize for the inconvenience and wish you the best in finding the perfect rental property for your stay. 

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@David-and-Annie0 You can just leave it blank or put 'We, and Airbnb do not allow additional guests or partying. You previous review suggests that this might be an issue so we have cancelled your reservation.'

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@David-and-Annie0 

Dear Guest, your previous poor behavior at an AirBnB resulted in a bad review, therefore you are not welcome at our property. 

I think that pretty much sums it up. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@David-and-Annie0 

It is no surprise to the guest that they have a bad review on their profile. "I am uncomfortable with this reservation based on a previous negative review. Unfortunately, our home is not the right fit"

If the guest is genuine they will reply offering an explanation. If not, they will not respond and move on.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi there @David-and-Annie0, what did you write to them in the end? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@David-and-Annie0   It is always difficult when declining a guest and I understand fully about trying to be polite and sensitive.  However, you will not be hosting this guest again so I think you just need to be factual.  Perhaps something like

‘Dear X, thank you for your interest in staying with us again.  Unfortunately we feel that given your recent review when staying with Y along with a few minor issues we found after your last stay with us that we are unable to accept your reservation on this occasion’

Hi Guest! Thank you so much for your interest in our property. Unfortunately, after screening your past reviews, I do not feel comfortable hosting you at this time. I do apologize for the inconvenience and wish you the best in finding the perfect rental property for your stay.