Beward of this guest

Judy29
Level 9
Brant, Canada

Beward of this guest

We hosted guests for two weeks and did not respond to the "rating" questions.  I posted a 3 star agains them as they were irrisponsible by damaging a kitchen cupboard beyond repair, food splattered throughout the kitchen walls, muddy foot prints on the new broadloom (even though the rules ask for no shoes on the carpets)...and scratches from metal toys in the bathtub. (I removed the toy and put it in a box at the front door with a note...which they did not acknowledge).

So when guests are "dodging the bullet" how do we get the word out.  I made a few big mistakes taking on this family...learning the hard way.  I gave them an extension on their stay and then told them they had till the end of this week to relocate.  They are quite moved in=rearranging the funiture, cleaning out cupboards of "household inventory", etc.

I used to give the thumbs up for every guest hoping they would do the same as I took great pride to offer the cleanest and most prestine accommodations as always.  That does not pay off as my superhost badge was removed guests gave me  poor ratings...and for cleanliness.  Cant get any cleaner than bleach, bleach and more bleach.  I scrub walls, baseboards, door frames.  No dust to be found, no fingerprints to be found...including door knobs, switch plates and remote control.  Could I be judged on the lack of grass that will not grow in the forested area of the property...cobwebs ourside that grow overnight???   Extended guests see me every week to clean linens and superclean again! ...and we are a registered business with the local board of health inspecting our locations regularly...compliments with 5star rating every time.  I just dont get it.

So is this a case of reporting guests to airbnb; and do I do it now before they leave or make no waves and do it after?   Let me also say that they have their own home rented through Airbnb.  How is that possible if you are not home to supervise and maintain your own property.  Does someone else get hired to manage it???  I would love to see what they offer as clean accommodations.  

If it is possible to research profiles, it is listed as ERIN...and this family is from Toronto.  Their profile picture is of Ryan Gosling.  They should at least be nailed for ID theft.

4 Replies 4
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Judy29

Looking at your listing and profile, I cannot see a review from those you mention.

The only thing I can see is that you have responded publicly to a private feedback regarding cleanliness of floors which is very unfortunate.  

A fake profile - yes, those do happen.  The trick is to try and spot them before they arrive so that you can contact airbnb and have the booking cancelled.  That said, if you were my guest, would I be able to recognize you from your profile picture ?

You would probably not recognize me, but you would certainly know that you have the right location as we live in a museum and the photo is a relative.  Please be open minded as we are reinactors of the 1850 and I run a tearoom as well reflecting this era.  So this picture that I post is acurate of what you will see when you arrive on most days.  Since I have to choose a picture, the little one is much clearer in a small cameo.  If you truly do not believe that this is a true picture, just ask and I will send it as I sit here now.  Many quests enjoy the scenero.  I like to talk on the phone with guests too before they arrive.  this way we have an idea of personality before meeting.  

FYI I had one guest who looked delightful in her photo.  After talking on the phone I was questioning a few things as she slurred her works badly and it was only 1pm that we spoke.  She never spoke to me again.  Never let me know time of arrival.  It was guessing game if they had actually arrived.  They never answered the phone again.  Turned out that her husband was a TV celebrity,  I went knocking on the door two days later at the time of check out and she was fumbling down the stairs at 11:30am, barely awake.  Check out is noon.  Her conversation was slurred and she didnt make much sense.  Her husband was very nervous too.  After they left, There were at least six wine bottles in the garbage.  Upon inspection and cleaning, they had used a razor blade and scored the pine kitchen bar several times. Major damage to the counter top.   Not only would this woman be drunk but stoned on coke.  It was a definite observation.

Many pictures are "fake" and I dont trust very few on this site.  But posing as a famous movie celebrity is fraud.  I have spoke several times with Airbnb people and asked if there was a way to monitor their site with more security.  There should be an inspection from board of health included upon registering on this site.  Although a photo is asked for, it is never verified as the person...and some pictures are of their pets or children or home that they "perhaps" live in.

One of our guests told a story of arriving at a destination to find a mould infested home with dirty carpets filled with sand.  The beds were not changed and filled with sand too.  Turned out that the sister of the host cleaned the house for the photo shoot.  When he took over the listing he did not followup with cleanliness.  Now who do we trust????  www.teaonthegrand.com

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Judy29

My philosophy is that if the guest arriving looks the same as their profile picture, they are likely to be who they say they are. 

That not the case, they may not stay with me. Simple. 

Marit Anne:  I like your comment.  I would love to do exactly as you suggest and cancel guests at the door who do not match profile.  However saying that, it is not always easy to be available to meet and greet people who do not know their time of arrival.  being in the business for over 27 years, I have learned that an estimated time allows me to be close to home for the guests, but it can be literallly the entire day of waiting before they finally show up.  Guests do not realize we have a life beyond their own...they linger in town, stop for a bit to eat, do a little shopping, or drop in to visit an old friend in the neighbourhood...all the while thinking we live a life of being housebound waiting around for guests to arrive ``whenever``.  

The guests we love to meet over and over are those who keep us posted of arrival time...late in traffic, late getaway, need to stop for food, etc.  We call that `good communication`  It alway indicates a sincere, respecting  and considerate person and for them they will received that little bit extra.

The current guests were cut short of their extended stay and I suggested they find another place to stay past this next week only.  Im going with my gut feeling now...too many red flags, damages, dirt set off with anxiety.