Beware SCAM!

Nicole2008
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Beware SCAM!

Hello Airbnb community 

I just received a message for a reservation for an entire month in my beach apartment that claimed was for business purposes. But it was written SCAM all over:

1. The reservation started tomorrow! Who plans a month stay in a foreign country a day before

2. This happens today, during coronavirus pandemia. Even if tomorrow some social distancing measures are lifted here in Ecuador, airports are not receiving commercial flights only humanitarian. How did he plan to come here? 
3. Here goes the most sketchy part: he claimed he wouldn’t stay at my place, but at his old good friend’s. However, he said wanted to get the rental money from his employer... 

4. His grammar structure and orthography was all over the place even using 1s instead of Ls. I’m not native english speaker, but even for me it was a terrible writing. 

5. He left his “encrypted” number with Czech Republic country code at the end of the message for me to contact him. 
6. He did not have any comments or recommendations on his profile. 

He didn’t go through the details of how he planned to get the money of his “employer” from me. And even if it was true (highly doubt so) Anybody willing to deceive his own employer or anybody really, like this, should be immediately flagged that he can do that to you. 
I immediately reported it to Airbnb and blocked him. In a few minutes Airbnb sent me an email saying this account had been taken down. 

BEWARE!!! 

3 Replies 3
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

WOW  Good heads up!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

This is a common scam @Nicole2008 that I have seen around for at least three or four years. Ignore this scammer and make sure you report the 'guest'.to Airbnb.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen3 

re: 'Ignore this scammer and make sure you report the 'guest' to Airbnb.'

Sorry to say your comment here is redundant.

Please note Nicole's final paragraph:

'I immediately reported it to Airbnb and blocked him. In a few minutes Airbnb sent me an email saying this account had been taken down.'

Had you taken the time and trouble to read it, you would clearly not have needed to advise her.